View Full Version : Dell Axim X3: A New Price Point for Pocket PCs?

Jason Dunn
09-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Nothing earth-shattering happened this week in the Pocket PC world, but just yesterday there was a burst of excitement with the release of the first Toshiba e805 photos from an FCC document, and the first official photos of the Dell Axim X3. The initial rumours of the X3 being the inexpensive Pocket PC and the X7 being the wireless one seem to be incorrect. The X3 is rumoured to come in three different versions: a 300mhz version, a 400mhz version, and a 400mhz version with integrated Wi-Fi. All are single-slot devices (SD) and no CF slot, and the entry-level device should come in at under $199 USD. Will this be the device that Dell will hit the $150 USD price point with? Only time will tell - no official specs or prices were announced this week. It seems it will be sometime in October before Dell releases the official info.<br /><br />As always with the Dell devices, it's not the features that are impressive, it's the price point that Dell is able to hit. My only wish is that Dell had a retail presence - price-conscious shoppers would do well to see affordable Pocket PCs at retail right next to the Palm-based units.<br /><br />And in other news, <a href="http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=8861A001&affid=T99">I found my future digital camera</a>. :D

entropy1980
09-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Anybody else notice the dell price cuts on the X5? Looks like we will be getting the X3 as soon as the X5 inventory is moved out.....

nox
09-26-2003, 03:26 PM
X7 was to be WiFi/GSM/built in keyboard to replace the PDA/PHONE t-mobile is using.

i got this info from one of the nice TrueMobile Tour I had attended.

t-mobile also gave us free hotspot minutes.

www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/dell

Jason Dunn
09-26-2003, 04:17 PM
X7 was to be WiFi/GSM/built in keyboard to replace the PDA/PHONE t-mobile is using.

Ah, interesting - I always thought the X7 was going to be a Wi-Fi/BT device. Thanks for the correction!

dh
09-26-2003, 04:22 PM
It would seem that the original idea for the X7 is not going to happen (BT/WiFi, 2 card slots etc.) Shame because that is very much the kind of device I would want.

I was also hoping that the Tosh e800 would come with both radios, but this seems not to be the case either.

Oh well, wait a bit longer.

Mitch D
09-26-2003, 05:10 PM
I missed the luanch info, does anyone know when these units will be available?

Citezein
09-26-2003, 05:52 PM
I've had my Digital Rebel for about three days now. You'll love it. It is fast and takes great photos.

One note though, get yourself a firewire or USB 2.0 compact flash reader. Transferring files via the usb 1.1 cable is an exercise in frustration.

Enjoy!

Kurt Hunciker
09-26-2003, 07:44 PM
In case anybody is interested, Digital Photography Review has a (typically) throrough review of the EOS 300D Digital Rebel camera.

The link to the review is below:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

Chris Leckness
09-27-2003, 01:36 AM
Anybody else notice the dell price cuts on the X5? Looks like we will be getting the X3 as soon as the X5 inventory is moved out.....

Dell will continue to produce and sell the x5.

Prevost
09-27-2003, 04:32 AM
And in other news, I found my future digital camera (http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=8861A001&affid=T99). :D
Nowhere there it's said how much memory is packed with the camera...

Prevost
09-27-2003, 04:34 AM
One note though, get yourself a firewire or USB 2.0 compact flash reader. Transferring files via the usb 1.1 cable is an exercise in frustration.

Enjoy!Why does it dissapoint?

I own an A60 and have found no problems.

MarkWorsfold
09-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Prevost,

It doesn't come with a CF card so only stores 1 picture. I just bought a 1Gb CF card to go with my camera and at 'medium/fine' setting holds 480 something pictures. The lens is great and I can use it with my other Canon lenses.

Marc