View Full Version : Poll! What internet browser do you use?

qmrq
09-05-2003, 01:25 AM
I use Phoenix. :)

dean_shan
09-05-2003, 01:48 AM
I am going to link back (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=73084&highlight=#73084) to the thread I started a while back on the topic. You have way more options for the poll then I did.

I use IE on windows. It works good for me and is built in. PIE on my PCC (too cheap for thunderhawk). And I use Safari when using one of the schools laptops.

easylife
09-05-2003, 01:53 AM
And I use Safari when using one of the schools laptops.
What kind of school do you go to that gives you laptops? :D

Anyways, I use IE and love it - I have challenged others before me to convince me away from IE. XML support? Don't use XML, sorry. Tabber browsing? Right, but when you click on a tab it opens a new window... so can anyone convince me to use anything other than IE? :D

qmrq
09-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Especially nice Mac ones.. lucky guy.

Anyways, I use IE and love it - I have challenged others before me to convince me away from IE. XML support? Don't use XML, sorry. Tabber browsing? Right, but when you click on a tab it opens a new window... so can anyone convince me to use anything other than IE? :D

Sure. It's not standards compliant, it's trivially easy for any malicious person to crash, it's full of security holes with the default settings, no nifty gee-whiz features.. I could go on... :twisted:

Janak Parekh
09-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Quintin: you've skewed against Firebird votes, since a lot of people downloaded it after it was renamed from Phoenix. :)

--janak

easylife
09-05-2003, 02:14 AM
qmrq, even though there are all these "security holes" I have yet to have a problem with IE. Oh, and it's never crashed on me. So unless you have some hacker out there determined to crash IE on you, IE is fine for the general user.

qmrq
09-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Quintin: you've skewed against Firebird votes, since a lot of people downloaded it after it was renamed from Phoenix. :)
I suppose so.. I just can't stand the new name. Was renamed due to licensing I believe. "Phoenix" is just so much cooler than "Mozilla Firebird".

Anyhoo, for those of you with Firebird.. vote for "Phoenix"...

This means you Janak! :lol:

qmrq
09-05-2003, 02:25 AM
qmrq, even though there are all these "security holes" I have yet to have a problem with IE. Oh, and it's never crashed on me. So unless you have some hacker out there determined to crash IE on you, IE is fine for the general user.

Perhaps, though I forbid my relatives that I help with computers from using it. :twisted: Mozilla / Phoenix is just so much better. :)

easylife
09-05-2003, 02:27 AM
Mozilla / Phoenix is just so much better. :)
That's what they all say... but I had yet to hear anything that it has that I truly need. Skins? nah... Popup blocker? nope, like popups... :D

qmrq
09-05-2003, 02:38 AM
That's what they all say... but I had yet to hear anything that it has that I truly need. Skins? nah... Popup blocker? nope, like popups... :D

Uhoh. You may just be beyond my help then.. the tabbed browsing is very nice. Hmm... the editor in Phoenix is far superior to IE's. Control over JavaScript ... hmm. Lotsa plugins.. very customizable. Also two click ad blocking.. (right click > block images from this server). More and more.. that's just what I can think of now. :)

Hyperluminal
09-05-2003, 04:23 AM
Phoenix/Firebird here. :)
Once I went tabs/standards compliant/hacker free/popup free/extensions, I just couldn't go back... :D

Jacob
09-05-2003, 04:38 AM
I'm using AvantBrowser right now - an IE front end.

I did try and like firebird, and I'm considering going back.

AvantBrowser does add some features that firebird/phoenix has - like tabbed browsing. LOVE that! I didn't think I would, but now I can't do without it.

dean_shan
09-05-2003, 06:16 AM
Especially nice Mac ones.. lucky guy.

It called grants guys. My technology teacher is really good and getting them.

Pat Logsdon
09-05-2003, 06:56 AM
I'm an Opera man myself. Tabbed browsing, smart pop-up blocker (no pop-ups unless you initiate them), lots of clean skins, and fast fast fast. 8)

I use IE on my test machines because I need to keep them clean of additional software, but I hate it.

Thunderhawk is what I use on the PPC, but the mobile forums have me using PIE a bit more now.

qmrq
09-05-2003, 07:59 AM
Thunderhawk is what I use on the PPC, but the mobile forums have me using PIE a bit more now.

Not to drift off topic, but do the forums not use simple formatting when browsing from Thunderhawk?

Pat Logsdon
09-05-2003, 04:35 PM

Not to drift off topic, but do the forums not use simple formatting when browsing from Thunderhawk?
Yes - they're formatted like a regular desktop browser would. I'm kind of split on which I like better - Thunderhawk still seems a bit faster, due to the proxy connection, but I think IE scrolls better.

qmrq
09-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Yes - they're formatted like a regular desktop browser would. I'm kind of split on which I like better - Thunderhawk still seems a bit faster, due to the proxy connection, but I think IE scrolls better.

You should inform Jason of this perhaps.. only one line of code would need to be changed to fix this.

Crystal Eitle
09-05-2003, 09:22 PM
What does "tabbed browsing" mean?

qmrq
09-05-2003, 09:28 PM

http://riisconsulting.dyndns.org/ppct/phoenix.png

Using tabs in the same window instead of multiple windows.

Crystal Eitle
09-05-2003, 09:33 PM
How is that different from opening something in a new window?

easylife
09-05-2003, 09:35 PM
How is that different from opening something in a new window?
Faster switching and (supposedly) easier browsing. You can just click on the tabs to switch instead of going down to the Start Menu. 8)

qmrq
09-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Well it's not, aside from the fact that it is far less cluttered, easier to navigate (use keyboard to move between tabs), and uses slightly less memory. Also, the default setting is to open tabs in the background, so you can continue what you're reading. (IE puts new windows on top of everything.)

dean_shan
09-05-2003, 09:39 PM
I prefer new windows on the start bar as opposed to tabbed. But my brother and dad really like tabbed browsing so they use AvantBrowser. Different strokes for different folks.

Pat Logsdon
09-05-2003, 09:39 PM
It means that multiple pages can be opened up within the same browser.
With plain-vanilla IE, you need to open a whole new instance of IE for each separate page you want to view.

With Opera, you can click the "New" button, and it'll open another window in a new tab, and you can flip back and forth between pages just by clicking the tabs.

Keeps the taskbar nice and clean, too. :mrgreen:

Here are a few screenshots:

This one (http://www.opera.com/graphics/docs/screenshots/opera-711-win-m2.jpg?session=1fc16ea4ce7fa7bf345956710f10a075) illustrates the tab concept.

This (http://my.opera.com/customize/skins/index.pl?search=operatic+orbit+v0.5) is the skin I use.

qmrq
09-05-2003, 09:40 PM
>Different strokes for different folks.

Yep. :)

Janak Parekh
09-05-2003, 10:59 PM
You should inform Jason of this perhaps.. only one line of code would need to be changed to fix this.
There are advantages to having the full forum interface, and Thunderhawk can certainly render/fit it.

--janak

qmrq
09-06-2003, 12:00 AM
There are advantages to having the full forum interface, and Thunderhawk can certainly render/fit it.
Perhaps, but the subscribers are paying for access to mobile forums. You should deliver this regardless of what browser they use, no? Especially when it is such a small modification of the code. You could also perhaps give them choice of forum layout, this would be only slightly more work.

Janak Parekh
09-06-2003, 01:25 AM
Perhaps, but the subscribers are paying for access to mobile forums. You should deliver this regardless of what browser they use, no? Especially when it is such a small modification of the code. You could also perhaps give them choice of forum layout, this would be only slightly more work.
No, the mobile forums offer a subset of functionality, so you should only use them when you need it. Since TH is designed to bring a "desktop-like" experience, using the mobile forums would come out awfully narrow. You have to use TH to understand what I mean. ;) Go to bitstream.com and check out the examples of how TH runs.

The fact is that for the mobile forums, you're paying for convenience. If you have TH you don't technically need to use them; however, mobile forums in PIE are generally faster than most anything under TH.

--janak

spursdude
09-06-2003, 07:47 AM
I'm using Avant Browser (http://www.avantbrowser.com) like a few others. It's really great. I love just about everything about it - the customizable skins (I compiled my own), the ability to double-click on the tab bar to open a new tab, integrated Google search bar, pop-up blocking, click-gestures for back and forward (click and hold left then right button to go forward, opposite for back), draggable URLs, and all sorts of other goodies. The developer puts out at least an update a month and is very responsive to comments.

Highly recommended.

Edit - OH and I just realized how much I use the Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+F4 features for closing internal tabs. Tabbed browsing is really nice; it's like adding another Start bar to your system without having to cut down on desktop space. It leaves room for more IM windows, etc.

Tom W.M.
09-09-2003, 03:12 AM
I use Netscape 7.1, because I like having a tabbed (middle-click rocks!), popup-blocking, PNG (http://www.webcolors.freeserve.co.uk/png/) alpha transparency (http://home.tephras.com/temp/PNG/) supporting, ActiveX free, MNG (http://www.libmng.com/) supporting, skinnable (http://themes.mozdev.org/) (in a good (http://themes.mozdev.org/themes/orbit.html) way), and otherwise standards compliant (CSS, CSS2, XHTML, etc.) browser. I also use the Netscape Webmail email service, so that factors into my decision. :)

JustinGTP
09-09-2003, 03:46 AM
Good 'ol IE

Jacob
09-09-2003, 03:50 AM
Good 'ol IE

Isn't that an oxymoron? :wink: :lol:

Tom W.M.
09-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Good 'ol IE
Isn't that an oxymoron? :wink: :lol:
Indeed :D

qmrq
09-09-2003, 04:10 AM
Someone needs to stick this on the front page or something.. this is important stuff! Only 30 votes.. :cry:

qmrq
09-09-2003, 04:11 AM
Good 'ol IE

:rotfl:

JustinGTP
09-09-2003, 04:53 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/images/avatars/d8e558613e7e2e0887102.jpg

:rotfl:

JustinGTP
09-09-2003, 04:54 AM
Whats wrong with IE? It lets you view the internet, same with any other browser. I dont care for features! And you can still hold your own opinion, and I hold mine. IE does what I want.

-Justin.

spursdude
09-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Don't worry, nobody's attacking your beloved IE, Honda_Civic_Si. I like IE too - it's clean, fast, compatible, and it looks kinda nice.

Maybe that's why I use Avant Browser - it's based off of IE... but better.

tal-max
09-09-2003, 07:06 AM
Internet Explorer (I love it!) 37% :confused totally:

Geez, this is a case of the Borg if ever I've seen one! :robot: <-Bill Gates.

IE started off as the biggest Netscape rip-off around (I'm surprised BG didn't get sued, or maybe he did! :? ) - slow, buggy, and completely unsafe. It's nice to see that nothing's changed.

I've always been a Netscape fan but have recently changed to Mozilla Firebird. For the PC, it's hard to beat! :D

Aaron.

qmrq
09-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Don't worry, nobody's attacking your beloved IE, Honda_Civic_Si. I like IE too - it's clean, fast, compatible, and it looks kinda nice.

Maybe that's why I use Avant Browser - it's based off of IE... but better.
Oh I'm attacking it. :evil:

'clean'? Sure. 'fast'? About as fast as any other graphical browser. 'compatible'? No, it's not. Whether or not it looks nice is up for debate. I don't mind the layout too much.

qmrq
09-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Whats wrong with IE? It lets you view the internet, same with any other browser. I dont care for features! And you can still hold your own opinion, and I hold mine. IE does what I want.
To quote myself.. :)

Sure. It's not standards compliant, it's trivially easy for any malicious person to crash, it's full of security holes with the default settings, no nifty gee-whiz features.. I could go on... :twisted:

Weyoun6
10-14-2003, 05:55 AM
Firebird! All the way!

gonzo
10-15-2003, 02:22 AM
I've just moved from firebird to opera and won't look back.
Mouse gestures, easily searchable history, easy to skin....its not free, but certainly worth purchasing.

firebird rocks as well, and is very fast (also works better than opera under terminal services in my experience)

If you've not tried it, give it a go tho....

ctmagnus
10-18-2003, 08:09 PM

-Justin.

I concur. And besides, I happen to like the IE aesthetics once I've tweaked them to my liking. And Google Toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com) r0x0rs! Among other Google utilities, I might add.

JustinGTP
10-18-2003, 08:38 PM

-Justin.

I concur. And besides, I happen to like the IE aesthetics once I've tweaked them to my liking. And Google Toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com) r0x0rs! Among other Google utilities, I might add.

:D

Thats what I like to here. And most of the people who vote use IE anyways, so pfff to you non-believers!

-Justin.

qmrq
10-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Eh .. any real browser has a search toolbar built-in. :-P Phoenix for example, or Opera.

qmrq
10-18-2003, 09:43 PM

Thats what I like to here. And most of the people who vote use IE anyways, so pfff to you non-believers!
Seriously, have you ever even tried any other browsers? Once you have, you can talk about how super Internet Explorer is. ;)

spursdude
10-19-2003, 04:24 AM

Seriously, have you ever even tried any other browsers? Once you have, you can talk about how super Internet Explorer is. ;)
Pretty good point. Justin, if you love IE, you should really check out Avant Browser. It's faster, clean, skinnable, tabbed, pop-up blocking, and Google searching, all in something incredibly easy to use. Even if you "don't care for features," there's practically no reason to not use Avant. It's just like IE but purely better - you lose nothing from IE, but gain plenty.

cooldw57
10-20-2003, 12:46 AM
Mozilla isn't technically designed for browsing purpose, it's mostly used for developers... I use Konquerer, since that's the only browser we got in KDE..

Janak Parekh
10-20-2003, 12:48 AM
Mozilla isn't technically designed for browsing purpose, it's mostly used for developers...
Wha!? Mozilla is most definitely an end-user product. You can download a copy at http://www.mozilla.org. Gecko, the underlying rendering engine, is not.

--janak

qmrq
10-20-2003, 02:59 AM
Mozilla isn't technically designed for browsing purpose, it's mostly used for developers... I use Konquerer, since that's the only browser we got in KDE..
:rotfl: What is it designed for then? ;)

Jereboam
10-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Pretty good point. Justin, if you love IE, you should really check out Avant Browser. It's faster, clean, skinnable, tabbed, pop-up blocking, and Google searching, all in something incredibly easy to use. Even if you "don't care for features," there's practically no reason to not use Avant. It's just like IE but purely better - you lose nothing from IE, but gain plenty.

Another vote for Avant. It really is a very high quality front-end to IE, and free, and a comparatively small download. The features it adds are really steering me away from Phoenix (I am a long time user and fan) for ease of use (and of setup...Phoenix isn't newbie-friendly). When Phoenix is more mature I will probably go back...but for now Avant is the first thing to get installed/updated on any machine I use.

J'bm

qmrq
10-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Another vote for Avant. It really is a very high quality front-end to IE, and free, and a comparatively small download. The features it adds are really steering me away from Phoenix (I am a long time user and fan) for ease of use (and of setup...Phoenix isn't newbie-friendly). When Phoenix is more mature I will probably go back...but for now Avant is the first thing to get installed/updated on any machine I use.

There are unofficial installer packages that make it a bit easier to setup, but yes, for people who need hand-holding Phoenix isn't quite ready.

ctmagnus
10-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Just for kicks (and to try to free up some of the <100MB of free disk space I have) I uninstalled Avant and was unable to open hyperlinks in plain-text emails. Everything else about IE worked except that. IE would popup a new window (as opposed to opening the link in an existing window) but wouldn't load anything. Reinstall Avant and everything works but when I set url, htm, http, https and ftp to not open with Avant, IE won't open links in email anymore.

qmrq
10-20-2003, 10:31 PM
What mail client ?

Dave Beauvais
10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
... IE won't open links in email anymore.
Try going to Programs tab of Internet Options. Click the Reset Web Settings button and make sure the "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" box is checked. If it's not, check it, click OK, and restart IE. This usually resolves problems like this.

--Dave

ctmagnus
10-20-2003, 10:54 PM
What mail client ?

Outlook 2002, but it appears Dave Beauvais' suggestion worked.

Jereboam
10-21-2003, 02:02 AM
There are unofficial installer packages that make it a bit easier to setup, but yes, for people who need hand-holding Phoenix isn't quite ready.

A plain install of Phoenix is not too difficult at all...but when you start trying to tweak it and add skins, widgets and so on, like the tab extensions and mouse gestures which are pretty much essential for me, it starts getting a little bit more tricky. After suffering from nightly build addiction for a while as well, I got bored with trashing my profile and setting it all up again, which sometimes was the only way to get it all running smoothly.

This ability/necessity to tinker at such a deep level is both what I love and hate about Phoenix, and what will keep it sidelined in the "browser wars".

J'bm

Jereboam
10-21-2003, 02:16 AM
It should however be pointed out that for beta software, Phoenix is had has been extremely usable for a long time now, and a certain amount of tinkering should be expected.

J'bm