View Full Version : Microsoft's Derek Brown Speaks on Pocket PC 2003

Jason Dunn
06-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Below is an excerpt of a recent message from Derek Brown, Director of Marketing Communications in the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft. He has an interesting perspective about Microsoft's mobile device strategy and shares some of his favorite updates with the latest version of Windows Mobile software for Pocket PCs that I thought was worth sharing with you.<br /><br />"We put a tremendous amount of work into this release and focused explicitly on building for the future. As any of you who have spent time discussing it with me know, development is a game of finite time and people. In any given release with a deadline you have X number of persons and X days to develop and test. Period. You make cuts, you make hard decisions and you postpone features or improvements to the next version. This is how it works. Over the past 18 months or so, two of our primary goals were to: first, unify as much of the code-base for our software for Pocket PC and Smartphone as possible; and second, get on schedule to ship as much of that code as possible on the most current version of Windows CE.Net.<br /><br />Accomplishing these two tasks was a huge undertaking, involving not just a lot of code re-work, but also structuring our development team so that most of our efforts would accrue to both form factors. Today, we have a platform optimized for *the future* - both in terms of technology and resources. We're in this game for the long, long term - forever. <br /><br />In the latest release, I think there is incredible value in the latest release: For instance, we’ve improved the wireless experience with this release by making it easier to connect to Wi-Fi networks. From a phone perspective, we’ve implemented smart, persistent 2.5G data connections, GSM Suspend/Resume and CDMA Dormant modes. We’ve updated the phone usability features, such as including a Mute button and adding separate phone and device volume controls. There are also enhanced messaging and multi-media features, like the New Pictures application that allows you to manage and view photos.<br /><br />We’ve also improved functionality for our developers, by improving the performance and stability of the OS through Windows CE.NET and increasing productivity and application quality by integrating the .NET Compact Framework into the OS. <br /><br />This a great upgrade for existing customers and will power some fantastic new Pocket PCs. In addition we’ve taken a big step forward with the long-term success of our platform. I’m happy with what we’ve done on both counts."

darrylb
06-23-2003, 05:37 AM
We’ve also improved functionality for our developers, by improving the performance and stability of the OS through Windows CE.NET and increasing productivity and application quality by integrating the .NET Compact Framework into the OS.

Well, that answers one question at least!! Way to go! 8)

Enderet
8O Jason cmon give us the good stuff

Gremmie
From a phone perspective, we’ve implemented smart, persistent 2.5G data connections, GSM Suspend/Resume and CDMA Dormant modes.

Hoorah, does that mean consistent AIM?

nightmare
06-23-2003, 05:40 AM
He says PPC and Smartphone is in it for the long run, but does he mean it? I mean, looking at Windows XP, Tablet PC, Pocket PC, and Smartphone, PPC has little room to expand. Too much swaying one way and it cuts into Tablet PC (a dead end market), and too much swaying the other way and it cuts into Smartphone's market. I would think Microsoft would like to see Smartphone and Tablet PC to succeed more than PPC because Nokia has a huge breadbasket of phones that Microsoft would love, and Tablet PC brings in a huge amount per device for an XP license.

How sure are we PPC won't get bumped off come two years?

Jason Dunn
06-23-2003, 05:41 AM
Hoorah, does that mean consistent AIM?

Yes. I haven't been able to test this out myself yet, but from what I know, it means that your device will "go to sleep" (ie: screen off, etc.) but you will not lose your data connection.

THIS IS HUGE! Now you can connect and get your email without your device even turning on (again, based on my understanding).

Dave Conger
06-23-2003, 05:43 AM

I really think that Pocket PC fits into its own market for Microsoft. It fills the void between Tablet and Smartphone for a mobile product. Plus, as long as Palm is around, Microsoft will likely want to compete in the market. Their different approach to the platform is widely supported and many users like the idea of using Windows on all their devices.

dh
06-23-2003, 05:43 AM
It's looking good for new wireless devices. MS seem to have put a lot of effort into this area.

So far though the only new wireless feature I've noticed is the BT in the 2215.

I think I might have to look for a deal on an unlocked BT phone before long.

ctmagnus
06-23-2003, 05:45 AM
Below is an excerpt of a recent message from Derek Brown, Director of Marketing Communications in the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft.

"In any given release with a deadline you have X number of persons and X days to develop and test. Period. You make cuts, you make hard decisions and you postpone features or improvements to the next version. This is how it works."

People need to take this into consideration more often imo. They just expect far too much from every other mortal being. 18 months is only 18 months and I don't think too many people would be happy if Microsoft was suddenly shutdown as a result of running a sweatshop somewhere.

Gremmie
06-23-2003, 05:46 AM
THIS IS HUGE! Now you can connect and get your email without your device even turning on (again, based on my understanding).

Agreed. I see a lot of newbie's on here asking about keeping data connections open; then again, which wireless aspect does not have a huge upgrade, 802, BT, cell.

nightmare
06-23-2003, 05:47 AM
Their different approach to the platform is widely supported and many users like the idea of using Windows on all their devices.

Yes, but how much longer until Smartphone prices come down and the software becomes advanced enough that it can do whatever PPC can do? A few years? Once that point comes along, what do you do? Advance the feature set? Then it might start cutting into Tablet PC.

IMO they're overlapping. I think MS is undetermined where they want to go with this, and IMO, out of all three of those markets, PPC is #3 in most desirable.

BTS
06-23-2003, 05:49 AM
If the new OS is indeed much faster (as everyone has been saying) then I say "bravo, Microsoft". I want my speed and stability. Once we have that then let's move on to other improvements. Now, if only I can get a guarantee on my Linksys CF W12 driver (I really don't want to buy a 2002 device). Linksys isn't committing.

darrylb
06-23-2003, 05:49 AM
I mean, looking at Windows XP, Tablet PC, Pocket PC, and Smartphone, PPC has little room to expand. Too much swaying one way and it cuts into Tablet PC (a dead end market), and too much swaying the other way and it cuts into Smartphone's market. I would think Microsoft would like to see Smartphone and Tablet PC to succeed more than PPC because Nokia has a huge breadbasket of phones that Microsoft would love, and Tablet PC brings in a huge amount per device for an XP license.

Having a single code base with the smart phone means that the development costs of the OS are shared, which means that it is less expensive to keep developing as core changes on one will be in effect on the other - also (hopefully) meaning more features will be shared between them.... :)

Jason Dunn
06-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Yes, but how much longer until Smartphone prices come down and the software becomes advanced enough that it can do whatever PPC can do? A few years? Once that point comes along, what do you do? Advance the feature set? Then it might start cutting into Tablet PC.

Ultimately this is more about form factor, size, battery life, and touch screen than it is about a specific device. In a few years when every Pocket PC is also a phone, and every Smartphone has most of the Pocket PC functions, will they really be two different products? The lines will blur...

Dave Conger
06-23-2003, 05:52 AM
If the new OS is indeed much faster (as everyone has been saying) then I say "bravo, Microsoft". I want my speed and stability. Once we have that then let's move on to other improvements. Now, if only I can get a guarantee on my Linksys CF W12 driver (I really don't want to buy a 2002 device). Linksys isn't committing.

It is faster, even on the older devices. CE 4.2 was likely one of the big boosts. I have also had to do less soft resets, so it seems it is either recovering faster or not having as many problems as my Axim with 2002.

I have a feeling the drivers will come...at least a generic one.

dh
06-23-2003, 05:57 AM
Ultimately this is more about form factor, size, battery life, and touch screen than it is about a specific device. In a few years when every Pocket PC is also a phone, and every Smartphone has most of the Pocket PC functions, will they really be two different products? The lines will blur...

Great!
If we end up with a Smartphone that has all the PPC functions I for one would be very happy.

It makes a lot of sense to develop PPC and Smartphone as one platform.

Robert Levy
06-23-2003, 05:59 AM
There are some big distinctions between Pocket PC and Smartphone that allow them to coexist peacefully. Smartphone has an elegant simplicity to it, but this prevents users from enjoyably carrying out a common Pocket PC tasks on that platform. There is only so much that can be done on a device with a 176x220 display and no touch screen. Pocket PC will always be king for users that do a lot of data entry, users that do a lot of web browsing for non-mobile sites, and users that want to play complex games.

Enderet
06-23-2003, 06:01 AM
There are some big distinctions between Pocket PC and Smartphone that allow them to coexist peacefully. Smartphone has an elegant simplicity to it, but this prevents users from enjoyably carrying out a common Pocket PC tasks on that platform. There is only so much that can be done on a device with a 176x220 display and no touch screen. Pocket PC will always be king for users that do a lot of data entry, users that do a lot of web browsing for non-mobile sites, and users that want to play complex games.

Rob here has a very good point

Enderet
06-23-2003, 06:04 AM
:evil: Here goes everyone getting quiet before the next announcement.....grrr i dont like it.

nightmare
06-23-2003, 06:18 AM
Hey, I'm here. There's just not much to talk about UNTIL THE H2215 REVIEW IS RELEASED!!!

Pony99CA
06-23-2003, 07:06 AM
"We put a tremendous amount of work into this release and focused explicitly on building for the future. As any of you who have spent time discussing it with me know, development is a game of finite time and people. In any given release with a deadline you have X number of persons and X days to develop and test. Period. You make cuts, you make hard decisions and you postpone features or improvements to the next version. This is how it works. [...]"

I don't have a problem with what's in Pocket PC 2003. Would I like more? Of course, but, being a devleoper, I understand the issues. But doesn't it sound like he's almost apologizing a bit here?

"[...] This a great upgrade for existing customers and will power some fantastic new Pocket PCs. In addition we’ve taken a big step forward with the long-term success of our platform. I’m happy with what we’ve done on both counts."
Wow, who would have guessed that a Director of Marketing Communications would think it's a great upgrade? :roll: I'll decide what I think once I see it, thank you. :-)

Steve