View Full Version : Zune Content PlaysForSure?

Aaron Roma
12-04-2006, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2006/11/zune_does_plays.html' target='_blank'>http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2006/11/zune_does_plays.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;It seems that Zune and Plays for Sure are closely related indeed. While the Zune player will not accept content from other Plays for Sure services it seems content from the Zune marketplace will work on other Plays for Sure compatible devices (it&rsquo;s clearly not something supported and certainly not clear how long it will work).&quot;</em> </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>So you're jones'n to migrate from a PlaysForSure device, to a shiny new Zune. As usual, you want to pass on your old PlaysForSure device to your spouse or child. (Don't we all?) However, due to Zune's much documented incompatibility with PlaysForSure, you&rsquo;re stuck maintaining two subscriptions; one for Zune, and one for PlaysForSure, right? Well, maybe not. Apparently, while the Zune is not compatible with PlaysForSure content, a PlaysForSure device will play Zune content. For now, DRMed content download from the Zune Marketplace will play on PlaysForSure devices. The thinking goes that the Zune and PlaysForSure DRM is almost identical, with extra bits added to Zune content that the Zune player requires while a PlaysForSure device ignores them. This is a completely unofficial and unsupported scenario, and this &quot;feature&quot; could be &quot;fixed&quot; in future updates, so be cautious. Have any of you with a PlaysForSure device tried playing Zune content?</p>

Janak Parekh
12-04-2006, 09:23 PM
What this means, of course, is that Jason's thought that Zune was ditching PFS for a better user experience is incorrect, but rather, that the Zune essentially has PFSv2. I still don't understand why Zune couldn't support PFSv1. :confused:

--janak

grommet
12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Yes, the backwards compatibility for Marketplace content is there "by design"... but Microsoft does not test or support full compatibility. Existing players that handle PlaysForSure (WMP 11, Windows Media Center, Winamp, Roku SoundBridge, Xbox 360, etc.) can play Zune content... they appear as "normal" PlaysForSure content.

So most/all PlaysForSure portables can play ball, too. Again, "unsupported" = "don't call Zune support."

It's still mostly "for a better experience." It's about control of the full ecosystem and experience. Allowing other PlaysForSure content onto the Zune, though I wish they had supported it, would add complexity and confusion. Zune users could have problems with, say, Yahoo! Music, Napster or URGE protected content and their associated "stores." It also would probably add even more limits to the already limited song beaming feature... if enabled, I'd assume any non-Zune PlaysForSure content would need to be blocked from that feature, since I doubt Microsoft could make agreements with every vendor. (Currently, they only need to worry about Zune Marketplace suppliers... and the content that the owners don't want Zune users to beam temporarily is flagged/disabled at the track level.)

Oh, well... such is life.

cliczune
12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
In an interview with a Zune team member (David Caulton), we had the confirmation that Zune content "can" play on PFS devices. He also confirmed that Microsoft is not offering the support for Zune content on PFS devices.

Read: http://www.cliczune.com/2006/11/exclusive_no_ne.html

Janak Parekh
12-05-2006, 10:04 PM
It also would probably add even more limits to the already limited song beaming feature... if enabled, I'd assume any non-Zune PlaysForSure content would need to be blocked from that feature, since I doubt Microsoft could make agreements with every vendor. Ah, this is a very good point. I'm not sure which I'd prefer -- blocking the functionality or blocking all PFS stores, but from a user-consistency perspective it makes a lot of sense.

--janak