View Full Version : iPAQ spare parts anyone?

Jason Dunn
07-19-2002, 03:13 PM
<a href="http://www.services.foxconn.com/?pModule=Home">http://www.services.foxconn.com/?pModule=Home</a><br /><br />Lloyd W. LiBengood found what has to be one of the more unique Pocket PC sites I've seen in a while. Need a screw for your iPAQ? Buy one here. Replacement LCD screen? This is the place. They sell every part imaginable from the touch screen layer ($27), to a massive 2000 mAh ($88). Too bad Pocket PCs weren't easier for Joe Consumer to crack open and work on - this would be upgrade heaven!

nwarren
07-19-2002, 04:36 PM
How tough would it be to replace the battery? Obviously the warranty's invalidated, but for a 2000mAh....

RickP in AZ
07-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Hmm, my 3630's battery is about to give up the ghost and I'm thinkin' that at $52 I'll get a new 950Mah, then I'll get the front and back pieces of the CF Plus Pack and see if I can create a Black SS5 out of my bedragled CF sleeve.... :lol:

RickP in AZ

dunneldeen
07-19-2002, 08:28 PM
Anyone want a green or red stylus for your 3600? Of course the minimum order for the site is $75, so you would need to purchase it with something big.

Terry
07-20-2002, 05:17 AM
I noticed they have MAC-color-like sleeves in addition to the stylii.

I expect they might have 39xx LCDs soon...which brings up an interesting upgrade idea for my 38xx...hummm....transreflective screen for $200 (a guess based on their 38xx LCD replacement)...

I hope Times2Tech is reading this...coupled with a RAM upgrade, this could be s-w-e-e-t!

(I'm still using my Jornada most of the time, but I have to admit the 3950 I saw a CompUSA made me drool. I didn't even need my reading glasses to see the screen.)

dcharles18
07-21-2002, 06:20 PM
The screen is the only real reason I would upgrade to a 3900. If I could just upgrade my 3800 screen, I would be all set. (That 2000 mAh battery would be nice too :D )

Dave Conger
07-22-2002, 12:19 AM
The screen is the only real reason I would upgrade...

...I agree, though I don't know how much I would really want to do it myself. I have had enough problems with a keyboard I opened the case of...I sure wouldn't want to blow up my iPAQ. :)

Terry
07-24-2002, 05:47 AM
I'd feel very comfortable having the Times2Tech guys make the change...I've received great results with the memory upgrade and screen sealing on my Jornada...

...I don't use a 38xx IPAQ I have around 'cuz I like the Jornada more...but that 39xx screen...ummmm!

Janak Parekh
07-24-2002, 04:16 PM
I expect they might have 39xx LCDs soon...which brings up an interesting upgrade idea for my 38xx...hummm....transreflective screen for $200 (a guess based on their 38xx LCD replacement)...
I'd love this too, but I can't see how this would work, as the power requirements, BIOS programming, etc., are different for a backlit screen as opposed to a sidelit screen...

--bdj

Terry
07-25-2002, 06:18 AM
I'd love this too, but I can't see how this would work, as the power requirements, BIOS programming, etc., are different for a backlit screen as opposed to a sidelit screen...

--bdj
You may be right...but it's fun to ponder...

oscarmayer
08-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Well from that I know of the hardware, the issues that would have to be delt with are. The video controllers are much different, the mountings, the bios config, the back light like someone mentioned. I really don't think that swap over would work. You most liklet going ot have to breakdown and buy a 39x series to ge teh screen and video you want. The question is, is it really worth it? Personally, unless yo have a REAL reason to get a more powerful mahcine (like developement, or really use it more for a tool that a toy) I feel the current 36-38x series are fine. Spend your $ on a internal ram upgrade instead. Get your rom upgraded as well. Those things will increase your current unit's ability to function.

Either way, good luck with the idea and maybe somehow someone will find a way to make it work.