View Full Version : Creative to Launch Music Video Store

Suhit Gupta
09-12-2005, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.betanews.com/article/Creative_to_Launch_Music_Video_Store/1126282240' target='_blank'>http://www.betanews.com/article/Creative_to_Launch_Music_Video_Store/1126282240</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Singapore based Creative on Thursday announced it had joined forces with Soundbuzz to launch the Soundbuzz Music Video Store. Creative hopes that the creation of the store will help drive sales of its new Zen Vision player as well as future video-enabled portable players. Although Apple was thought to be moving towards the medium, Creative says that it's always had its eyes on music videos. The music store has been set for an October release in Singapore, with a Asian release shortly after. No announcement was made as to availability in other markets. Sony, BMG and EMI have already allowed their artists to appear in the store, which will initially feature 1,000 videos from the likes of Beyonce, Coldplay, Gorillaz, and Craig David. The companies anticipate the remaining labels to sign on by early 2006."</i><br /><br />Interesting to see that Creative is beating Apple to the punch, although I wonder how popular and proprietary the service and videos are going to be given that the Zen is certainly not the most popular PMP or PVP. Moreover, while I can that music stores are very popular, I wonder if that will be the same case with videos. I think of listening to music as a passive activity and a lot of folks want to have some going in the background, however videos actually require complete focus. I feel that fewer people would watch videos on this medium for just this reason.

James Fee
09-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Oh, Apple is going to be in trouble. Music videos is sure to be the next great thing with portable music players.

sojourner753
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Oh, Apple is going to be in trouble. Music videos is sure to be the next great thing with portable music players.

I'm not sure why Apple would be in trouble. Neither the iPod nor the iTunes music store were first to market. It was all stuff we talk about everyday that we can call that AppleJobs magic that made it all successfull.

Matter of fact, perhaps its better to let someone else go ahead. Then Apple can come behind them and do it "right".

James Fee
09-12-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure why Apple would be in trouble.Sorry, should have had a " :roll: " in there.

My true feeling is that this is so dumb. Creative has fallen so far behind on the hardware, why do they focus on video?

Jason Eaton
09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
My true feeling is that this is so dumb. Creative has fallen so far behind on the hardware, why do they focus on video?

My guess would be because they have a video player and the 'market' has not materilized so they are attempting to jump start it. Genetic mutation, if you will, in trying to start the whole chicken and egg thing and get back some of their investment.

UMD now has more movies then games for the PSP, so... eh....like Sony is doing and Creative is trying, just companies looking to make you by another copy of 'Saving Private Ryan' on a different medium.

Mediocre attempts to be generous, but the same old tune sung a little off key in the repackage business plan. Now if only companies would learn to let people transfer movies legally.