View Full Version : SAMSUNG i600 Device Lock

acharmer
04-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I use both the US Samsung BJ & the Samsung i600. Love them !

Both the phones are great to throw into the back pocket of your jeans / pants & sit on them for hours without any problems (games, long drives etc). They're small, sleek, unbreakable (by sitting on them, I mean) & when I take them out of my back pocket, I get a lot of ooohs & aaahs from folks around, who're pleasantly surprised that it can fit there so discreetly. I use my bluetooth headset for taking calls.

The key difference I'm noticing is that the US BJ has a device lock which when activated, completely disables ALL the QWERTY keyboard AND the side keys, until you tap the power button again (kinda like a notebook's sleep mode). Very Very useful especially when ... you are sitting on your phone during the game or on long drives :lol:

On the i600, I can't seem to find that option, both key lock & device lock the phone, but don't switch off the keyboard or the side keys & though it does not unlock the phone / device, the display comes on & possibly drains the battery. I'm also conscious that it could accidentally unlock & dial someone on my contacts, while I'm just sitting on it :oops:

Therefore, on the i600 :-

Key lock, forces me to press the 'unlock' softkey & then press '*' to unlock.

Device lock, forces me to press the 'unlock' softkey & then type my password to unlock.

Any workarounds or suggestions on how to get TOTAL device lock on the i600, just like the BJ ?

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 01:53 AM
That's odd - I wonder why there is a difference on that one small thing. :? I don't know of anyway to change that behaviour. I would suggest dumping the registry of both devices and then comparing them.

acharmer
04-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Thanks for your feedback, Mike.

Just to be sure, I put both devices (BJ & i600) side by side a few minutes ago & confirmed my observations about this lock behaviour variation. I can't get the BJ to come back to life, except by tapping the power button when its locked. No such luck with the i600.

I'm not sure how to dump the registry (I'm not a technical person, just a comfortable user), but I'll update this forum if I have a breakthrough.

One interesting sidelight on this subject is that the i600 user manual is extremely brief (4 - 5 printed pages) & largely a description of keys & basic set up. Other than that, the user is on his / her own :cry:

Mike Temporale
04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
There's a couple apps to do this, I use the one that come with Visual Studio. There are a couple other out there. If you search for Windows Mobile Registry editors that run on your desktop they tend to have the best export functions.