View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time....anyone in Arizona?

algorhythm
03-14-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm in AZ, one of 2 or 3 states that don't do Daylight Saving Time. How's this for a stupid problem:

I had the notice on Sunday morning that my DASH's time had been adjusted...but since I had it set for "GMT-7 Arizona" and Automatic Time Zone set to on, the phone's clock didn't change....so far so good. Then I noticed my appointments were all an hour ahead....11:00 appt now said 12:00.

Checked the settings, and it had changed to "GMT-7 Mountain." Changed it back...five minutes later it changed back again. Tried this multiple times, same result, so I called support. Got a good tech who checked the database, no other reports of this. So he called a local (to me) TMo store, and they did have one other person come in with the same issue. Obviously it's the tower my phone's getting signal from, updating it wrongly, right?

Not so fast.... We agreed that he would escalate it on his end, but meanwhile I would disable Auto Time Zone. So I did, and just for grins did a soft reset.....when I turn the phone back on, it's back on Mountain Time, Auto Time Zone!

So he's stumped, I'm stumped..is it a hardware issue, is it a tower issue....dunno. So far I've had four other people in AZ on other forums report the same issue, so it's looking like a tower issue.

Anyone else got a DASH in Arizona??

tadevinney
03-15-2007, 07:49 AM
bingo. same problem. although the rep i got insisted it was a problem with the microsoft dst patch and i would have to contact them. i am convinced that it is the towers however why wont the dash let me turn off auto time zone? i do know that with each tower they sync time with a dedicated tower so all the towers in an area are synced the same. need to have a local az tech check this out. i am headed for a tmobile store in the morning.

tadevinney
03-16-2007, 07:31 AM
looks like we will have to wait about 3 weeks for a fix. seems that while patches were stressed to the entire planet, T Mobile forgot about Arizona. kinda stuck in no mans land here. they assure me that when the next time change occurs that they will be ready for us and shouldnt see a problem going forward. seems i should get a discount for not having a correct functioning phone. ugh.

Kris Kumar
03-17-2007, 11:09 PM
It is times like this that makes you wonder that, wish the technology providers hadn't provided all this automation, intelligence and patches, and kept the system as simple as the microwave oven's clock - you wake up in the morning and simply spend 30 secs to fix the time.

algorhythm
03-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Interesting. I've gotten similar responses on two other forums, and I went to two TMo stores yesterday and both reps knew about the issue....it's strictly DASH/AZ related.

Meanwhile I called back TMo support today and they know nothing about it. No one knows when a fix might be available.

I'm on hold with them as I write this....up to second level mgmt and no one knows a thing about it. :evil:

Mike Temporale
03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Sounds like your phone is set to automatically update the time. Turn this feature off and you;ll be fine. It's under Start / Settings / Date and Time and then scroll down. Basically, it gets the time and time zone information from the local cell towers. So if they aren't set correctly then your phone will display wrong.

I had this problem - my phone was jumping to +4 or something like that. I should be in -5. :? It's not DST related. It's all about the carrier not setting up their cell towers correctly.

algorhythm
03-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Mike,

Yes, you're right, it's related to auto-timezone. BUT....first of all, there's no reason TMo can't get it right. I can turn it off, but that's a workaround, not a fix, and every time I go out of AZ I have to remember to turn it back on.

Second, and more to the point...if I turn my phone off and back on again, it changes back to auto enabled, MDT. In theory, my settings should stay where I left them.

Anyway, the update is, I finally convinced TMo it was an issue. The manager asked me to go to a local store and try my SIM in a different unit, and that one did NOT exhibit the problem. So my guess is it's tied in to a firmware problem. They're sending me a replacement unit (for which, believe it or not, they wanted to CHARGE ME for the shipping....when I protested they agreed to eat the big $7 for UPS ground), which will hopefully solve the issue. (Unless, of course, they send me a refurb that still has the problem....in which case I think I'll be talking to Cingular....)

I'm growing less and less enamored with TMo lately.... :x

Dhondi
04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
I just got off the phone with T-Mobile 2nd Tier support. T-Mo has firmly acknowledged that this is a problem with NITZ and it is a problem with the way the towers in AZ and IN are broadcasting time zone information. This affects not just the DASH, but the MDA as well. The update to Windows Mobile 6.0 is not intended to fix this problem.

Initially, they told me that they have no plans to fix it and that I should just disable that feature on my phone. I reminded them that this is affecting multiple users. They agreed to open a trouble ticket for the engineering department and will update me every 2 to 3 days. I will post those update here.

If you live in AZ and own a DASH, please contact T-Mobile and make your voice heard. Insist that they open a trouble ticket to fix the problem. Their phone number is 800-937-8997 (or dial 611 from your mobile phone).

DO NOT allow them to send you a replacement Dash. They will charge you $5.99 for shipping and this DOES NOT fix the problem.

DO NOT go into a store and get a new SIM card. I did this as well. It costs you $19.99 and WILL NOT fix the problem.

Kris Kumar
04-19-2007, 03:38 AM
Initially, they told me that they have no plans to fix it and that I should just disable that feature on my phone. I reminded them that this is affecting multiple users. They agreed to open a trouble ticket for the engineering department and will update me every 2 to 3 days. I will post those update here.

Thanks Dhondi.

Too bad that T-Mobile is taking so much time to fix this problem.

Sven Johannsen
04-20-2007, 03:32 AM
I have a question for those of you who do leave the 'set clock by network' enabled. Do you adjust your appointment times when entering them in Outlook when you are going to be somewhere other than home? You know that if you are in Arizona and put a 12 Noon lunch appointment in for when you are in NY, and you go there and let the network 'fix' your clock (TZ), the appointment will move. How do you adjust? It is easier now with Outlook 2007 allowing for appointments to be entered with TZ info, but still, it is something to keep track of.

I'm really just curious how you handle it.

Mike Temporale
04-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I always enter the appointment in as the time it would be for me locally. Then if I happen to change the time zone, the appointment adjusts to the correct time for where I am. It works nicely and I never have problems.

Sven Johannsen
04-21-2007, 09:21 PM
I always enter the appointment in as the time it would be for me locally. Then if I happen to change the time zone, the appointment adjusts to the correct time for where I am. It works nicely and I never have problems.
So you are comfortable looking at a 12 noon Lunch date in Vancouver, on the calendar at 3PM. That's the piece that always bothered me. The time on the calendar is skewed, when I look at it at home.

For me it is just an irritant, but I can imagine the 12 Noon appointment in Vancouver, that shows up on the calendar at 3PM, that an Administrative Assistant makes travel arrangements to get you to Vancouver by 1-2 PM so you can make the '3PM' appointment.

Mike Temporale
04-23-2007, 01:52 PM
:lol: Yeah, it can get confusing. But I like the appointments to be in the local time zone. Then if I miss the flight or something I can still plan around the meeting so I can conference call in or something.

Basically, I like to think of the world working in my time only. :mrgreen:

indiramedina11
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I just bought a HTC-S620 (The Dash), not from T-mobile, from Telcel , a mexican Carrier, originally it has Windows Mobile5, then i installed the Windows Mobile 6 update for the Dash, i have the same problem here in mexico, i live in the same Time Zone GTM - 7.

I noticed that the problem is related to the Cellular Network, because the time goes back every time that you conect to the Cell Phone Network.

Mike Temporale
05-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Just disable that auto update in the time settings and you'll be fine. It's under Start / Settings / Data and Time and then scroll down to the last item. Basically it sync's time with the cell towers - which is only good if the tower is correct. Which, as you have notice, they don't tend to be right. I have that same issue here in Canada. :(

tigerbyte0
05-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I also had to turn off synchronization in ActiveSync besides. T-Mo told me that a patch from Microsoft would be coming out within weeks when I called at the end of April...but that always confused me because I thought it was a carrier issue with the towers or a client profile.