View Full Version : Replaced landline with Cingular - but no way to fax

joe-ez
12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
I have the Cingular 3125 Smartphone (HTC Startek) which has the Windows mobile 5.0. I am pretty happy with the phone overall. I can easily connect my laptop to the internet using the HTC usb modem software (included) and the MediaNet unlimited. It is a fast connection but I only use it when I am away from my home broadband. I mainly got the Medianet for email on the phone and faxing from the laptop. (sales guy said it would work...)
However, the Windows XP fax software on the laptop will not work with the HTC usb modem. I have tried everything and spent way too many hours messing with it. Cingular is no help and after much delay they said they dropped support for faxing over a year ago! can this be true? Like I am the first guy that has needed to send a fax in over a year - I think not. Any ideas for me?

A trick, tweak, or setting I may have missed?

Is there any 3rd party windows fax software that works well with mobile phone modems?

I hate to go with a web-based fax service (start at like $10 month) but will as a last resort. I mainly need to SEND about 4 faxes per month - but they are important. Suggestions?

You can probably tell I am a newbie, any tips are appreciated.

JohnJohn
12-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Doesn't eFax have a free version? You don't get a local area code, but it's better than nothing.

I pay for 6 different eFax numbers and love it, my employees are so much more productive. Check out the free version if it still exists.

Mike Temporale
12-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Doesn't eFax have a free version? You don't get a local area code, but it's better than nothing.

I pay for 6 different eFax numbers and love it, my employees are so much more productive. Check out the free version if it still exists.

Hey, eFax looks pretty cool. $18 a month seems a little pricey. There must be a cheaper way to send faxes.

Gavino1212
12-12-2006, 03:23 AM
jfax is $15.00 monthly for their premier account.
other rates are available as well

sbussinger
12-13-2006, 10:29 PM
You might consider MaxEmail.com as well. They have a $24/yr option that might work well for you. (From a satisfied MaxEmail customer.)

bshpmark
12-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Try TrustFax. I pay 9.95 a year for 50 pages of faxes. Plenty for me.