View Full Version : Media Net vs Smartphone connect

sosnow
06-17-2006, 03:02 AM
Can someone explain the differnce between Media net unlimited and smartphone connect unlimited? Hear is a link. You need to pretend to buy the 2125 and then under data plans the smartphone connect option is available.
http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/features-accessories/index.jsp?_requestid=14532
I think they are the same, but smartphone connect is a marketing name for the smartphone only plans...Any ideas?

I tried asking Cingular ARRGGGGGGGGGGGGG%*@#$%. He said he was not aware of smartphone connect then said I was not using a cingular phone (I use the 2125) and tried to sell me a blacjberry data plan. I guess it is too much to ask for customer service to provide customer service:)

Jerry Raia
06-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Where is Rocco when you need him? I think alot of this confusion is because they charge you for the device they think you have. Unlimited data is still unlimited data. I was suddenly charged more when I bought my old HP6515 at a Cingular store because now they knew I had a PDA. Prior to that I was using my 5600 for exactly the same things, paying $30 less a month.

Rocco Augusto
06-18-2006, 12:29 AM
the difference is this, smartphone connect cost more because youre going to use more data than the average usuer uses on the unlimited $19.99 plan. this is why pdas, blackberrys, and pocket pcs all have different pricing. blackberry is the most expensive because blackberry users usually use a world of data

im not suprised they had no idea what it was through customer support, the plan doesn't officially launch until the 18th and the new ROM comes out on the 19th ;)

Jerry Raia
06-18-2006, 12:35 AM
So basically I am right. I'm punished because I want more sophisticated toys!

Rocco Augusto
06-18-2006, 12:42 AM
So basically I am right. I'm punished because I want more sophisticated toys!

pretty much. now remember i still cant get a straight answer on the subject form anyone from cingular that should know this. from what i heard from various boards as well, cingular appears to be blocking the push email ports on the unlimited MEdia Net plans. If you do not plan on using the push email features then maybe you might still be able to use the MEdia Net plans.

once i hear something definitive on the subject i might even make a nice front page post describing it... if youre lucky ;)

Jerry Raia
06-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Good to know, even though I don't need push email, I have to have it just cause! So I'm stuck anyway!

sosnow
06-19-2006, 02:56 PM
the difference is this, smartphone connect cost more because youre going to use more data than the average usuer uses on the unlimited $19.99 plan. this is why pdas, blackberrys, and pocket pcs all have different pricing. blackberry is the most expensive because blackberry users usually use a world of data

im not suprised they had no idea what it was through customer support, the plan doesn't officially launch until the 18th and the new ROM comes out on the 19th ;)

FYI the smartphone connect plan is the same $ as the Media Net plan.

This is what the website says..
SmartPhone Connect

With SmartPhone Connect, you can browse the internet from your wireless Smartphone handset. And now, Xpress Mail is included with SmartPhone Connect Unlimited at no extra charge.
SmartPhone Connect (5MB)**$9.99/month
SmartPhone Connect Unlimited**$19.99/month
None$0.00/month

aarcam
06-21-2006, 11:57 PM
As an option, I just got the new Unlimited Media Max plan for $19.99/mo. It was my understanding that it allows for unlimited web browsing and connecting to POP3/IMAP 4 type accounts.

The difference between this and the Smartphone Connect Plan is that the Media Max does not support push email. As a consolation you get 200 text messages with the Media Max plan.

I don’t do push, so it was a good deal for me, assuming what they told me was correct. I have been browsing/emailing rather heavily trying to get it all set up and it has not show on my online bill as of yet, so I will be interested to see if it all works out like they said it would.

*crosses fingers*

cingulartreo
06-28-2006, 05:45 AM
it is sometimes hard to get a consistent answer from a big company like cingular.

Smartphone connect is just media net unlimited renamed to help the salespeople assign the correct plan to the correct device and to help customers understand it better.

-Media net is for phones

-Smartphone connect is for smartphones (pick this for push on a 2125)

-Pda connect is for pda's. As a general but not positively, absolutely, uncompromisingly strict rule: if it has a keyboard then it is probably a pda.

-Blackberry connect is for blackberrys (or for the 9300)

The salespeople and the customers were getting confused, so cingular tried to make things easier. PDA and blackberry connect are a little more expensive because those devices tend to use more data because of their increased functionality.