View Full Version : Treo 700w Smartphone newbie -- IE question

jearvizu
03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Hello, I just recived and activated a Treo 700w Smartphone (Windows Mobile 5) device for the purpose of evaluation. With the device I am able to connect to the INternet and browse just fine. Part of my evaluation involves the need to access a particular website which contains a link to what is essentially a Microsoft Access Data Access Page (an MS Access form which Access publishes as an HTML page linking back to the actual MDB database file). The issue is that while browsing the web and visiting sites, I have no browser issues. However, when accessing this Access link (which, by the way, works fine on a PC), I get a message on the Treo saying that IE 5.0 or later is required. I'm gonna guess that the HTML code produced by MSAccess is requiring a "PC-grade" IE, and that whatever implementation of IE Windows Mobile 5 has is likely lacking something MSAccess's HTML code requires. If this is the case, is there a way to get around this? I realize that this sounds like an MSAccess question more. I'm just looking for input from the perspective of Windows Mobile 5 and what one should expect (or not). I will post this same question on a MSAccess forum so that it can be looked at from that perspective as wel. I appreciate any input someone might have on this issue.

Mike Temporale
03-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Congrats on the Treo. This is going to be a little confusing, but your device isn't actually a Smartphone. It's a Pocket PC. Most of us here are Smartphone users. Some of us use both, regardless, you might want to try asking over at our sister site [http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com]Pocket PC Thoughts[/url]

With that said, I will suggest 2 things:

1) The browser on Windows Mobile is at the 3.x level. So there is a lot of differences between what your desktop has and what the device has - feature wise. Some times, all you need to do is fake the webpage into thinking your browser is newer than it is. You can change the browser string to make it look like it's a newer version of IE. This will only work if the page is just checking for the sake of checking.

2) Try using something like ThunderHawk, Opera, or Skweezer to access the pages.

jearvizu
03-09-2006, 09:39 PM
No kidding...I went by what the box, labels, disks, manuals, etc, said as far as the product goes. Then again, as I said earlier, I'm quite new to this.

Mike Temporale
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
You're not alone. It's a very common issue and it doesn't help that the press and Palm keep using the Smartphone label for anything that has a phone in it. ;)

Anyway, did you try either of those suggestions?

jearvizu
03-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I've downloaded the Opera for Pocket PC version but have not done anything with it yet. I do appreciate your pointing me in the right direction, though.