View Full Version : Cingular 2125 Issues...

Kris Kumar
12-29-2005, 05:01 AM
Wasn't sure if I should post a front page post. The couple of problems I am facing are not major but annoying. And I have not heard of anyone else complain about them.

- EDGE re-connection issues: This problem is tricky to define. I am surfing the Net. Checking E-Mail. And also in a car moving from one tower to another. After a little while, I try to surf and I get connection error. I go to the home screen. Hit the hang up button twice and end the data session (the little E is cleared from the top of the signal bars). Start surfing, everything's fine.

- Radio interference: It seems EDGE data transmission interferes with the radio/tv/laptop speakers more than GPRS did. Everytime there is a data session and if I hold the Smartphone in a particular position, the electronic noise from the data transmission can be heard on the TV, radio, laptop speakers. :roll:

- The power button: I know how to operate it. But it is not easy.

- MEdia Net bookmark: Not a big fan of MEdia Net, but it has potential. It seems if in the Browser ->Menu->Options->Connections: if the "Automatically detect connection" is enabled and "Select Network" is set to the Internet. I cannot browse to the MEdia Net site (http://home). If I uncheck the auto setting and specify WAP, it works. This problem has a simple fix. Instead of http://home a fully qualified URL is required. But Cingular tech reps cannot understand it. They spend hours on checking the APN etc. :cry: Can someone tell me the complete domain name instead of just http://home or http://device.home.

choo_choo
12-29-2005, 05:24 AM
any dust under the screen? do you keep it in your pocket?

ll600
12-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Wasn't sure if I should post a front page post. The couple of problems I am facing are not major but annoying. And I have not heard of anyone else complain about them...

I experienced the first two items you mentioned in your post.

I just experienced the EDGE reconnection issue a couple of hours ago. I couldn't get a connection while in my car though signal strength was at 3 bars, but then a while later everthing began to work fine. Who knows, this may be a problem they are having on their side of the network.

The power button - I use my finger nail - you can feel a definite click when the switch operates, it's just a little tight.

Kris Kumar
12-29-2005, 01:49 PM
any dust under the screen? do you keep it in your pocket?

None. I use the belt holster that came with the device.

Somehow I get the feeling that HTC did a good job sealing the screen this time.

Kris Kumar
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
The power button - I use my finger nail - you can feel a definite click when the switch operates, it's just a little tight.

I use the finger nail too. :D I believe that is the only way to do it. I am glad that the black ribbed area on the hump is part of the power switch. It makes it easy.

Kris Kumar
12-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Okay I am cross-linking threads. mschoneman is having the same problem (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63610#63610) with his Qtek 8310 on Cingular network.

So to narrow down the problem. The Cingular carrier is involved (so possibly bad data network configuration) and the new HTC WM5 device i-mate SP5/SP5m and Cingular 2125 are all affected.

And I have a feeling it is the EDGE network that is bad. Time to call the Cingular tech support @ 1-866-490-2666 and bug them.

Jerry Raia
12-29-2005, 11:42 PM
I have had some of these connection issues with other phones on Cingular as well. Cingular CS isn't too helpful and I have gotten various conflicting settings from them. The best results I have had have been the "Auto Detect" and "Internet" that Kris mentioned above.

Kris Kumar
12-31-2005, 06:41 PM
The radio interference is annoying. Turn on your TV/Radio/Music system/Laptop/whatever and put it on mute. And try to email sync or surfing on your EDGE enabled Smartphone and you will here the buzzing sound from your TV. :roll:

GPRS did this but it was rare and only on some devices. :?

Kris Kumar
12-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Also I thought there was registry hack or some tool to turn off the persistent data connection (little E). Basically have it timeout and release the connection instead of maintaining it. I think for the Cingular network, I need something like that.

stumpy
01-06-2006, 03:11 AM
Just got my 2125 today tried to Edge and connection lost acctualy never connected. On the phone now with customer support. One of the things they had me do is put the correct IMEI of the new phone since before I had a SMT5600. The new IMEI did not work but tech. support said that you would need the be entered in the system. Well after a half hour on the phone I realized that if the phone is plugged in the USB cable and sync to my laptop EDGE will not work.

Global Mobility!
01-06-2006, 05:33 PM
GPRS on my SP3i when using TomTom in my car sounded quite nasty. It would turn on every 10 minutes to get traffic updates and I would hear buzzing from my car audio. Sounds just like the buzzing you get right before your mobile phone rings when near any type of speaker that's turned on. But, in this case it kept buzzing until all the data packets were exchanged.

As for EDGE, everything seems to be just fine handing off between towers on the TMO network. My problem is that I sometimes need to reset the SP5 with a power cycle if I want to reconnect to EDGE after it's been disconnected manually. This type of thing also happens when using the JAM and GPRS with TMO. Is it just me?

stumpy
01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
No problems with my Edge. I have seen during surfing the web on my 2125 the icon flash for a sec to G but no diconnect. In regards to buzzing I have not noticed it in my truck. I have a factory stereo so I'm not sure if you guys that noticed the buzz might have aftermarket stereos.

Mike Temporale
01-12-2006, 02:23 AM
The buzzing is very common. It happens on most of the speakers I pass in a day, my alarm clock, my car radio, my sub woofer form the home stereo. I think it's related to sheilded speakers. If they aren't, then you'll hear it. Not much you can do. Try and move the phone away from the speaker. Sometimes a little distance makes a big difference. 8)

Kris Kumar
01-13-2006, 04:07 AM
You are right, little distance and the direction in which the Smartphone points. :? 8O :roll:

My car stereo (Honda Accord, standard equipment) makes the sound, the station doesnt matter, if the Smartphone is close to the head-unit, then I am in trouble.

Laptop speakers (IBM R50) rare, but very low volume.

Sony Wega 27" rare, but loud when it happens.

Interesting way to test this. Keep the audio equipment on "mute". Then try to start the data session and move the phone around.

Kris Kumar
01-13-2006, 04:08 AM
Mike, I think you are right about un-shielded speakers. My music equipment does not have this problem.

jfreiman
01-13-2006, 05:45 AM
1. I too am having the buzzing issue and I did not have it with my 5600. The problem is for any data or voice call - not limited to Edge or GPRS.

2. The momentarily drops the carrier (looses connection to Cingular) and either flashes in and out of Flight Mode or No Carrier - then returns to Cingular. *** This happens anywhere in San Francisco - not limited to my apartment ***

3. The reception in my apartment is terrible, whereas the SMT5600 was flawless.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to return my beloved Windows OS phone for one that works better in my city.

I've spent more than 20 hours with technical support and customer service and nothing they have done has helped in the slightest.

Has anyone else encountered the problem #2 as I have?

Kris Kumar
01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
2. The momentarily drops the carrier (looses connection to Cingular) and either flashes in and out of Flight Mode or No Carrier - then returns to Cingular. *** This happens anywhere in San Francisco - not limited to my apartment ***

You are not alone. I saw this problem in the first couple of days at work. But now it seems to be okay, I haven't seen the problem happening again.

During the first couple of days, it would as you described momentarily say no carrier..searching..and then back to Cingular. This was in a building in the spot, where normally it shows 2-3 bars and at times 4 bars.

Killer Diller
01-14-2006, 09:48 PM
does anyone have challenges saving email addresses from a email sender to your contacts?

I'll click on save then go to that contact and hit add... it adds my email addy. Software bug... there are a few others.

Kris Kumar
01-14-2006, 10:31 PM
does anyone have challenges saving email addresses from a email sender to your contacts?

I'll click on save then go to that contact and hit add... it adds my email addy. Software bug... there are a few others.

I tried the feature, it worked fine.

Before you select the "save to contacts" option, make sure that the name of the person is highlighted [basically bounded by a box]. Use the joy stick to scroll up the email, and once you scroll out of the email body, you will start scrolling thru the subject and the To list and From address. You will notice that a box encapsulates the email id with each joystick up or down. Make sure the name or email id you want saved is highlighted and then click the "save to contacts" option.

Rocco Augusto
01-14-2006, 11:28 PM
i have the reconnection problem problem as well but only when i have my device teathered to my laptop. for some reason it will just drop connection and ill have to unplug the phone from my USB connection and reconnect everything.

its a pain but i do know that im smack in the middle of two towers and since the problem only happens in my apartment i figured it was due to my phone hopping between towers. i didnt realize others where having the same issue :)

Kris Kumar
01-15-2006, 12:02 AM
i have the reconnection problem problem as well but only when i have my device teathered to my laptop. for some reason it will just drop connection and ill have to unplug the phone from my USB connection and reconnect everything.

its a pain but i do know that im smack in the middle of two towers and since the problem only happens in my apartment i figured it was due to my phone hopping between towers. i didnt realize others where having the same issue :)

Welcome to the club. :wink:

When the Smartphone is connected with the laptop, it might be trying to access the Internet through the laptop. And that usually is a pain to figure out (proxy and all). :?

But you are right about the reconnection problem is something to do with switching towers.

BTW..how can I find out where the towers are? Is that info public knowledge.

Rocco Augusto
01-15-2006, 12:09 AM
BTW..how can I find out where the towers are? Is that info public knowledge.

it is and it isnt. i grabbed a map form the corporate offices last time i was there. there is a way to do it online but you need a dealer login and password. if you want shoot me a PM with an address you would like me to look up for coverage and i can take screenshots and email them to you. :)