View Full Version : Software Subscriptions: Good or Bad?

Mike Temporale
04-05-2005, 04:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4321' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4321</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Mini-rant time: subscription services are a good business model. Being in the industry I know this is one of the few sure ways to maintain a continuous flow of revenue, when the price is right and the service is good. However, it must be done in a easy way for both the user and the distributor. I have just had a bad example now. I have bought WorldMate for Windows Mobile Smartphone to write a review. The functionality in the software is great, and the software is completely, 100% subscription based. But not all functionality seems to be working ok. And the one failing right now is the one that manages the subscription."</i><br /><br />When WorldMate was released a couple weeks back, I <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7883">expressed my concerns</a> about the subscription based application, and it looks like I'm not alone. Mauricio from Geekzone.co.nz is having more than a couple headaches trying to use and enjoy this software. While subscriptions do have a place, I don't think mobile software is the place for them. What do you think? Are subscriptions a good thing and are you willing to shell out $20 a year just to use a mobile application?

Jerry Raia
04-05-2005, 04:41 AM
You can put me in the NO column. Besides the fact WorldMate just isn't that good to begin with. It's barely worth $20 ONCE let alone every year! There is a lot of good software out there that you only have to buy once. To keep paying for mediocrity is just not acceptable. Then you can add the above mentioned frustration of waiting for activation codes. I say.....NO

:pukeface:

Mark Larson
04-05-2005, 04:44 AM
I couldn't think of anything worse than subscription software. I mean, restrictive EULAs are one thing, but subscriptions are really the epitome of wringing your customers for maximum profit. You gain a vested interest in the company you buy from, because if they fail or go out of business, all your money has just gone down the drain.
Its also another thing when you charge what the software is worth. You can find pretty good non-subscription software that sells for $20, let alone be usable for only a year. Yes, i know you don't own the software but its a step ahead of a subscription-based one.

That said, corporate IT types seem to be lapping them up. :?

Mike Temporale
04-05-2005, 01:51 PM
That said, corporate IT types seem to be lapping them up. :?

A lot of the companies I see won't even look at software unless it has an on-going subscription. Most of those subscriptions are for support and upgrades and not the actual use of the application. Which is fine. I wouldn't have a problem buying an application and getting a predefined amount of time for support. After that point, the software should still work, and I can purchase more support time if I feel that it is needed. I have no problem with something like that. But the actual software application? That's a bit much, IMHO.