View Full Version : cigular settings on mpx220

sopure
01-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Does anybody know how to set up the mpx220 on the cingular
network? I have been trying now for nearly 2 months. Nobody seems
to know and everybody has a different answer!!!

I've tried them all, but they all dont work for me.

I am getting very frustrated with this mess. why must Motorola, Cingular,
and Microsoft make it so difficult to do this?

People use smartphones. Alot of people use smartphones. Alot of people also use laptops. Sometimes a person is not near a wifi hotspot.

I have Mediaworks and I pay 19.99 per month for unlimited internet usage. When I had my V600, I had no problems getting online thru Mobile Phone tools. Sometimes the speed would flucuate from 115 Kbps to 57 Kbps.
Now that I have the Mpx220, the settings have become such a nightmare, that I am beginning to think its not worth it and maybe when the Mpx300 comes along, everything will be peachy.

Does anybody know how to configure an Mpx220 for the Cingular network? In addition, does anybody know how to configure the laptop too?

Mike Temporale
01-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Where did you get the MPx220 from? It should have come pre-configured for Cingular network.

lurch
01-28-2005, 03:13 PM
And are you trying to use your phone as a pass-through connection for your laptop? If so, with Cingular you must purchase an additional feature for your plan beyond the mediaworks package (as I found out a few days ago from calling them).

They have special plans for laptop usage which range from $20 for about 5 MB, to $80 for unlimited.

But if you're talking about just connecting to the network via your phone, then the MPx220 should've come pre-configured with the settings. If it's not, let me know and I'll post my settings.

dpanice
01-28-2005, 05:30 PM
And are you trying to use your phone as a pass-through connection for your laptop? If so, with Cingular you must purchase an additional feature for your plan beyond the mediaworks package (as I found out a few days ago from calling them).

They have special plans for laptop usage which range from $20 for about 5 MB, to $80 for unlimited.

But if you're talking about just connecting to the network via your phone, then the MPx220 should've come pre-configured with the settings. If it's not, let me know and I'll post my settings.

I can use the phone to provide a GPRS internet connection to my laptop with the MEdia Works package using the instructions here: http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1369&catid=4. (Use AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR","",0,0 as the initialization command string, [email protected] as the user name, and CINGULAR1 as the password.) Not sure if this will work with the Motorola device or not; you might need a different modem driver but otherwise I would think it would be the same if your phone comes with the modem link program.

Lurch (or anyone with a MS Smartphone and Cingular),

Does MSN Messenger work for you? If so, could you post your settings so I can compare them to mine?

Many thanks,
Daniel

lurch
01-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I can use the phone to provide a GPRS internet connection to my laptop with the MEdia Works package using the instructions here: http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1369&catid=4. (Use AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR","",0,0 as the initialization command string, [email protected] as the user name, and CINGULAR1 as the password.)
Hmm. I wonder if there's a difference between a USB connection and a bluetooth connection (which I was using). I was able to connect up everything just right, until it tried to log into the network, then I got PPP connect errors every single time. If it would work, that would be great!!!

Does MSN Messenger work for you? If so, could you post your settings so I can compare them to mine?
I am logged into MSN messenger right now, but I didn't have to do any special settings, I just supplied my email address and password and it connected right up. Have you downloaded the app and set it up on your PC first? That might make a difference...

dpanice
01-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I can use the phone to provide a GPRS internet connection to my laptop with the MEdia Works package using the instructions here: http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1369&catid=4. (Use AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR","",0,0 as the initialization command string, [email protected] as the user name, and CINGULAR1 as the password.)
Hmm. I wonder if there's a difference between a USB connection and a bluetooth connection (which I was using). I was able to connect up everything just right, until it tried to log into the network, then I got PPP connect errors every single time. If it would work, that would be great!!!

I am logged into MSN messenger right now, but I didn't have to do any special settings, I just supplied my email address and password and it connected right up. Have you downloaded the app and set it up on your PC first? That might make a difference...

I suspect the PPP errors might be the result of the HTC modem driver instead of a Motorola modem driver...if you could track that down, I bet it would work for you.

I have MSN Messenger installed on my PC, and it works, and MSN Messenger works from my smartphone when I am connected to my PC (using the PC's internet connection), but when I try to connect to MSN Messenger from my smartphone alone, I get a "unable to connect. Verify your dialup or proxy settings are correct, and try again." Interestingly, MSN Messenger on my laptop works when connected to the internet using my smartphone's GPRS connection as described above. If you can share your connection settings (see http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7092), then I could "compare notes" to see if I might have something different. FYI, I used the settings in that topic to configure my smartphone. Thanks for your help!

Daniel

lurch
01-28-2005, 06:55 PM
It is kind of funny that the pass-through to your laptop is working great for you, but phone activity isn't, and it's the exact opposite for me. :) Oh, and BTW, I was using the Bluetooth DUN profile which is it's own modem driver, no special drivers necessary.

Here are my settings, hopefully it will help!

Under "Data Connections" I have the following choices seleted (they are the default out-of-the-box settings, but I'll elaborate them in a minute)
Internet connection: PDA Connect
Work connection: Automatic
WAP connection: PDA Connect
Secure WAP connection: Automatic

Now here's additional settings:
Under "Proxy Connections" I have "PDA Connect":
Connects from: The Internet
Connects to: WAP Network
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
Type: HTTP
User name: <blank>
Password: <blank>

Under "GPRS Connections" I have "PDA Connect" (again):
Connects to: The Internet
Access point: wap.cingular
User name: [email protected]
Password: hidden, although I'd bet the farm it's CINGULAR1
Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
IP address: <blank>

Hopefully that will help you out!
I think I realized my problem with trying the laptop passthrough. I think I was setting the initialization string for the modem settings to use ISP.CINGULAR instead of WAP.CINGULAR!
I'll give that a try tonight.

sopure
01-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Lurch,

I compared your phone settings to my MPx220 and they are exactly alike.
I use the initialization string and I used wap.cingular, not ISP.cingular.

I get that stupid "ppp" error all the time time. I clicked on the "more details" button on the ppp error box. I did the suggested fixes that microsoft suggests. It still doesn't work.

If it is going to cost me ANOTHER $19.99 per month to use the laptop on the internet for only 5 MB of usage, it's NOT cost effective. 5 MB can get used up quite fast.

$80/mo. for unlimited is not cost effective either, it's ludicris!!!

I will continue to keep trying to connect. I spent 4 hours last night trying, but came up empty handed. I did notice one thing. When one goes to the internet on a MPx220, one has 2 little "g" boxes at the top of the screen.
One of the boxes is slightlly smaller than the other, but when I tried to connect with the internet thru the laptop, a little "double two-way arrow" comes up in the top right corner of the screen just breifly before I get the dreaded "ppp" error message. This is good news. It means that maybe the phone is using "something else" to connect. As far as a "passthru", I dont know if the passthru should be used. The MPx220 user guide doesn't mention it.

Mike, in response to your reply, I bought my MPx220 from Ebay and it is unlocked, but it does have the "Cingular" logo at the bottom.

Thanks guys for the help. I will keep trying and if I make any headway or any info, I'll be sure to pass it on.

otty
01-29-2005, 12:53 PM
I had the same problem and was very frustrated. I don't use my MPX220 with a laptop, but was unable to connect to the internet directly from the phone. I posted hear and received some suggestions that solved the problem. It seemed there were two things that worked.

1. Doing a hard reset of the phone, so that the phone's original cingular settings would be restored. I don't remember how to do the hard reset, but I'm sure someone here knows how. Be advised that a hard reset means that all programs and data that you have installed in the phone will be lost. Apparently in my frustrated attempts to fix my problem I had messed up the settings.

2. This is important! In some areas, the MPX220 does not seem to properly disconnect from the internet after you have gone online. Consequently, when you try later to connect nothing happens and the "connecting" message stays on. A less then elegant solution to this is to turn the phone off and then back on. This seems to reset the internet settings and allows reconnection. When I cannot connect, I do this and it works. It is, however, a pain to have to turn the phone off and on.

My posting created a thread that had various suggestions you could try.

Mike Temporale
01-29-2005, 01:33 PM
My posting created a thread that had various suggestions you could try.

I think this (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=46826&highlight=#46826) is the post you're referring to.

dpanice
01-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Hopefully that will help you out!
I think I realized my problem with trying the laptop passthrough. I think I was setting the initialization string for the modem settings to use ISP.CINGULAR instead of WAP.CINGULAR!
I'll give that a try tonight.

It did, and I thought I replied yesterday, but now I do not see my reply...perhaps I only previewed it (I have been ill)...

Anyway, thanks for the help; I think the key differences between our settings were setting the GPRS connection as connecting to the Internet instead of the WAP network and then setting the Proxy as connecting from the Internet to the WAP network (instead of vice versa). I had previously tried swapping the "to" and "from" of the proxy as recommended in another thread, but it did not work for me...probably because my GPRS connection was still set to connect to the WAP network.

So, thanks, Lurch!

For Lurch and others encountering difficulty with your modem link connection: what modem driver are you using for your laptop? I'm pretty sure that the one posted in the linked article above (PPCW.net) is specific to the HTC (Audiovox SMT 5600/Orange C500) smartphone, and I suspect a different driver is required for the Motorola; this may be the source of the errors you are encountering.

Daniel

lurch
01-30-2005, 05:47 AM
So, thanks, Lurch!
No problem!

As for the laptop modem drivers, I'm using the default BT connection, and the connection to the phone is just fine, it's beyond that that's giving me issues.

Thanks!

lurch
01-30-2005, 06:35 AM
Sweet!!!! It's working! My issue was that once I changed the connection string to be wap.cingular instead of isp.cingular, I forgot to put in the username/password. Once I supplied those, everything worked! I'm writing this post using my phone as a modem! :) (which is stupid, since I have a WiFi home)

Thanks for the help!!!

Kris Kumar
01-30-2005, 02:18 PM
So the regular Cingular account does work. :) That's good news.

So the key is the user name/password and modem init string.

Lurch can you please point the steps in the article "Your Smartphone as a Bluetooth Modem for Your Laptop" (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,7365), that requires special steps for Cingular Customers. I see Figure 28/30, and 40. Thanks.

lurch
01-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Lurch can you please point the steps in the article "Your Smartphone as a Bluetooth Modem for Your Laptop" (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,7365), that requires special steps for Cingular Customers. I see Figure 28/30, and 40. Thanks.
Definitely figure 28/30 for username/pwd ([email protected] / CINGULAR1)
And 40 (<apn_here> would be "WAP.CINGULAR")

That's what did it for me!

Thanks!