View Full Version : Best Smartphone for AT&T Wireless

ramo
01-13-2005, 06:09 PM
In the market for one, did anything come out of CES that would be appealing, I like the TREO, but hate palm OS, gotta have Microsoft

Kris Kumar
01-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Cingular (AT&T Wireless) will soon be re-releasing the Audiovox SMT5600. That I feel is the best Microsoft Windows Mobile Smarthphone.

The alternative is the Motorola MPx220. In case you love flip phones. And don't super small phones. ;-) But I would recommend SMT5600 over MPx220 for now.

GravityArc
01-19-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm actually trying to decide between the SMT5600 and the MPx220. What is it about the SMT5600 that makes you prefer it over the MPx220? As far as PDA functionality, is the SMT much better? I've also read that there are some volume issues on the SMT (hard to hear), have you had that problem?

Does anyone think there's any reason to wait for the new Cingular model or should I just buy the AT&T SMT5600 off of Amazon.com for $149.99?

Thanks!

Mike Temporale
01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
In terms of PDA functionality, the 2 phones are the same. They both run Windows Mobile. :wink:

The Audiovox has WMP 10, it's a candy bar design, amazingly long battery life, and no problems with the camera, volume, microphone, etc.. that the MPx220 has had. :wink:

GravityArc
01-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info Mike.

Is it worth waiting for the Cingular branded version or can I buy the AT&T version (through Amazon.com), sign-up for an AT&T plan, then swap over to a Cingular family plan?

macs4god
01-24-2005, 06:49 AM
I was wondering the exact same thing, since Amazon has the SMT5600 for $0 after rebates if you sign up for a new AT&T contract. Will the contract eventually get migrated to Cingular, and does anyone have any idea how long it will take?

I'm considering just buying a phone from eBay and getting it unlocked to work with my current T-Mobile service, because my plan is $20 cheaper than anything comparable from Cingular/AT&T. But the $0 phone offer sounds like a nice deal... :wink: