View Full Version : Orange SPV E100 Announced

Jason Dunn
07-08-2003, 06:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3785.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3785.html</a><br /><br /></div>"The original SPV smartphone, launched in late 2002, was the first commercially available handset running Microsoft’s SmartPhone 2002 operating system. Orange have now announced their branded version of the HTC Tanager reference design, the SPV E100. Aside from alterations in styling, the E100 boasts a larger keypad than its predecessor and a small joystick instead of a D-pad, while the SPV’s reflective display is replaced by a transflective screen. All other specifications are identical, meaning that accessories and software will be compatible with both units."<br /><br />infoSync has a brief article on the new Orange E100 - looks great! Faster CPU, better navigation, and an SDIO slot (Bluetooth! Although it would be awkward until they get a flush card). I'm still getting to know my current SPV, and now I have to track down one of these... :wink:

ricksfiona
07-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Yup, just found this sucker myself. THIS IS WHAT I WANT!!! I can only imagine what it will cost though...

I guess with all the goodies this thing has, the battery life isn't the greatest. This will definitely fill the bill though for the next couple of years.

Is there possibly ANYTHING else that can be crammed into this thing? How about a camera? 8O

Robert Levy
07-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Is there possibly ANYTHING else that can be crammed into this thing? How about a camera? 8O

That's the rumor I've been hearing about the version of the SPV that will appear after this one

Jason Dunn
07-08-2003, 06:11 AM

In order to be competitive, they're going to have to cram Bluetooth and a camera in there...

marlof
07-08-2003, 06:38 AM
And so it's a cool thing they are going to do just that. See MoDaCo Smartphone (http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=68815) on the SPV2, the follow-up on the E-100, scheduled to be released Q4 2003. Or whenever. :)

freitasm
07-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Well :P, why not give the PPCW.Net i-Mate (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1106) a go then? US$ 549 from Arne Hess... Sold out now, but next shipment is mid July.

freitasm
07-08-2003, 07:29 AM
InfoSync has a brief article on the new Orange E100 - looks great! Faster CPU, better navigation, and an SDIO slot (Bluetooth! Although it would be awkward until they get a flush card). I'm still getting to know my current SPV, and now I have to track down one of these... :wink:

Hmm... Sorry to disagree :roll: The review (http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/3792.html) says it's the same CPU as before: "Under the hood we find the same engine as that which powers the original SPV: a TI OMAP processor running at 132MHz".

ricksfiona
07-08-2003, 07:33 AM

That's the rumor I've been hearing about the version of the SPV that will appear after this one

Whoooooah! 8O That would be absolutely amazing. A camera would be very cool. Again, cost might be crazy. I can live with the Bluetooth version for about $250. I won't hold my breath though :D

Chris Edwards
07-08-2003, 07:37 AM
Yeah, this is nearly identical to the original SPV, except for a brighter/better screen, and a better keypad/joystick. The E100 might be a bit faster than the SPV, but only due to tweaks in the ROM image that Orange has done.

I've had a chance to play with the E100 (a.k.a. Tanager) and I really like the subtle changes that they've made to it. It feels a lot more comfortable in the hand IMO.

Cyberjoy
07-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Yeah, this is nearly identical to the original SPV, except for a brighter/better screen, and a better keypad/joystick. The E100 might be a bit faster than the SPV, but only due to tweaks in the ROM image that Orange has done.

I've had a chance to play with the E100 (a.k.a. Tanager) and I really like the subtle changes that they've made to it. It feels a lot more comfortable in the hand IMO.

This is indeed true. I am using an E-100 for some time now. It's a great device! Although I expected some other upgrades in the E-100 version (bluetooth, built in camera) I must say that this E-100 is a very nice improvement compared to the "older" SPV (which I also still have! ;)). The screen is MUCH better and the refresh rate of the camera is also much better.

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 08:22 AM
132MHz???

More like 120MHz...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Will any of these have BT for a wireless headset or bonding with a Pocket PC?

freitasm
07-08-2003, 10:11 AM
The upcoming SPV2 will have Bluetooth. The SPV E100 does not have it, but SDIO is builtin (when a SDIO Bluetooth will be available is another story)...

bitbank
07-08-2003, 03:02 PM
I've been using the E100 (Canary) for a while now and it is a slight improvement over the older SPV for reasons mentioned above, but still not a great phone. I guess I have been spoiled by having a Pocket PC phone because I find the GUI of SP2002 to be incredibly annoying.

I find that it takes too many clicks and scrolls to operate all of the built-in applications. The most frequently used and worst offenders are the contacts and inbox applications. Those 2 applications are the foundation of the phone (for me) and I find them to be too limited and require too many clicks.

The inbox app forces you to choose synchronized or POP mail - you cannot have both and it only supports a single POP account. I find that on my Pocket PC Phone I like to have both synchronized and POP mail available and I need access to 2 POP accounts.

I find that when I need to quickly locate an address or phone number in my contacts (over 350 entires) I am fiddling with it for a long time before I get to the entry I need.

Internet Explorer is another weak point. This application is nearly unusable because of the slow response and constant scrolling to access any of the hot links.

Physically the phone is reasonable except for the little joystick thing which tends to press the button that you don't want pressed (e.g. presses UP when you want to press ENTER or vice-versa).

Sorry to say I am not a big SP2002 fan at this point. I am doing some paid work (apps) for the phone and have begun converting my existing apps to run on it. I have Virtual CE working and a primitive version of PQV also. I am considering doing IRDAsh as well, but I'm not sure if my efforts will be rewarded with sufficient sales to justify the time. Any feedback from all of you would be helpful and very much appreciated.

To conclude... I am going to be using and working with the SP2002 platform for a while and I really want to like it, but I am frustrated by its limitations. For me, the ideal smartphone would be a Pocket PC phone with a flip keypad that protects the screen. I've seen a prototype picture somewhere...

Larry B.

Jason Dunn
07-08-2003, 03:06 PM
InfoSync has a brief article on the new Orange E100 - looks great! Faster CPU, better navigation, and an SDIO slot (Bluetooth! Although it would be awkward until they get a flush card). I'm still getting to know my current SPV, and now I have to track down one of these... :wink:

Hmm... Sorry to disagree :roll: The review (http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/3792.html) says it's the same CPU as before: "Under the hood we find the same engine as that which powers the original SPV: a TI OMAP processor running at 132MHz".

Robert and I were discussing this last night - I did some Google searching and every site I found said the SPV had a 120 Mhz CPU, and I couldn't find any site saying it had a 132 Mhz CPU, hence I said what I said. It didn't seem to make sense though, because I too thought the Tananger was just an SPV with a new screen + new joystick. Lots of incorrect information floating around it would seem...

Paul [MVP]
07-08-2003, 04:22 PM
As mentioned above, the E100 does not have SDIO support, just SD :(

Having played with the Intel Electra reference design at the recent MoDaCo Event, the difference in performance with a 200MHz X-Scale is incredible :)

P

ppcsurfr
07-08-2003, 04:34 PM
How about this... The HTC Tanager Manual I have states that it has a 120MHz processor...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Jason Dunn
07-08-2003, 05:14 PM
]As mentioned above, the E100 does not have SDIO support, just SD :(

Holy misinformation Batman! Then a lot of sites are mis-reporting that information...

JonnoB
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
I just need to know what and when I can buy a SmartPhone in the US with Bluetooth. Anyone have firm dates and models?

freitasm
07-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Well, I'm sorry to say I almost touched my PayPal to buy the PPCW.Net i-Mate yesterday, but decided to only observe this platform.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with the Microsoft New Zealand Mobile Devices Manager and will talk about some stuff related to this device.

I think I'll stick with my free (thanks Vodafone!) Nokia 3650 for the moment: Opera browser, Bluetooth built-in, multiple POP/IMAP accounts, camera (still and video) built-in, MMC card.

I know this is not a place to "like" the other OS phone, but the Bluetooth is more important than a lot of stuff. I can use my Pocket PC or my laptop anywhere I want when I have this phone around.