¹ From OLED to Tegra: Five Myths of the Zune HD - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 09-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Macguy59
Mystic
Default From OLED to Tegra: Five Myths of the Zune HD

What say you to the authors points ?

Valid or does he need to put down the crack pipe ?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 AM
laurenglenn
Neophyte

A couple of things:

This explains why the Zune Insider was saying that the background is black.

The nVidia collaboration with the iPod 5G produced the smoothest video playback for any portable device that I've had that was also an MP3 player. When Apple brought all that in-house, quality definitely suffered for TV playback. Too many videos stutter now when the 5G never really did

The argument about how many cores is like how people used to say the Atari Jaguar wasn't 64-bit years ago. Who really cares unless it doesn't do what you want it to do with playback?

You can't see an iPod Classic in the sunlight either. Most portable devices are like that in sunlight. That's why I bought my MyVu glasses which also has issues in sunlight unless you cover the outside display in black tape.

At least Zune knows how to use the Wolfson chipset. Apple couldn't make that work in the 5G to sound nearly as good.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I couldn't get far enough to form an opinion...the hot air was too much to handle

Old 09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

It's so cute when Apple guys try to talk tech. They can't see beyond their pretty pretty screen and get confused with a mouse that has more than one button.

He needs to look again at OLED tech. His references are about 1 year old. The Engadget demo was supposedly an impromptu meet in a bar. Gee, don't bars have subdued lighting and candles? The Zune HD demos at Best Buy were out in the open well lighted part of the store. Only transflective LCDs take advantage of available light - all other LCD displays use massive backlights to force photons through the 2 polarizing layers and the crystal layer. Even a full white display will only release about 50% of the backlight - the rest goes off as battery wasting heat.

It's interesting how he thinks 18% is "significantly better screen resolution" while dissing the video output - the Zune HD video is 66% better than the iPod touch he is so fond of.

nVidia has been producing graphics accelerators for hand helds for many years. Some were even used in earlier models of Pocket PC.

If anyone cared to look, most of the useful applications on iPod have been available for Pocket PC and Windows Mobile far longer than any applications have been available on iPod. Many of the Windows Mobile applications are mature, stable and full featured applications. If anyone cares if you can pour beer out of a bottle, I'm sure there will be a Zune HD version soon.

Honestly, Microsoft is coming from behind and has a lot of work to do to really compete with iPod's services, but trying to defend a product with a lame understanding of the technology is really just a waste of time and typical of fanatics of any stripe.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
boeingqa9
Neophyte
Default Apple Nah

Guys what do u expect from apple lovers... Unless it was developed my apple or there partners they just love to mock everything about microsoft and other companies... l will never support any company that mocks other companies like apple do.

Congrads to Microsoft.

Paul