Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Why Are Browser Crashes/Hangs More Frequent Now?

You'd think that with all the browser development out there, browser stability problems would be a thing of the past - but perhaps any advances in stability are being offset by the increasingly broad range of technologies that browsers are required to support. The above is a screen shot from Google Chrome - about 90% of the time, when I go to a Facebook status update page, typically to respond to a comment someone else made about my status update, Google Chrome will hang. My CPU usage spikes and that browser tab becomes non-responsive. Thankfully, I can keep using other tabs and eventually Chrome will either process my request to kill that tab, or finally acknowledge that there's a problem with the content in that tab and show me the above messag. I wrote about my problems with certain Flash banners crashing my browser over on my personal blog, so me having with browsers isn't a new issue. Is anyone else out there using Google Chrome and seeing the same sort of problem with Facebook status pages? The good news here is that Google is apparently aware of the problem...but who knows how long it will take to get fixed.