¹ Zune 3.0 Killed My Device - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2008, 04:44 AM
Paradox Lynx
Neophyte
Unhappy Zune 3.0 Killed My Device

I'm in bit of a difficult situation regarding the new Zune 3.0 firmware. I live in New Zealand where the Zune is not for sale in shops and I bought my device second-hand on Trademe, an internet auction site similar to E-Bay. Up until now I've been really happy with my 30Gb Zune player, I've gotten quite used to the software and I like the functions it has. Until the new update, it's been really stable too, I think it's only crashed one or two times which for a Microsoft product is pretty decent, better than my PC and my Xbox 360!

The other day I saw update 3.0 was available so I downloaded and installed it. It had games and stuff which was quite a cool leap forward and it looked rather promising. However, after disconnecting my device, I only managed to play one song before the device froze up as I selected another song. Using the Up+Back emergency reset brought it back to life when reconnecting it to the PC failed to have any effect or to even detect the player.

I assumed this was a one-off, but since then my device has been incredibly unstable, locking up in the same fashion, I'd say at least one in every three times I try to play a song. I haven't tried the games much, but the one time I did play Hexic, it crashed midway through.

So far I've been very unimpressed with the damage this update has done to my trusty Zune. Customer support for someone outside America/Canada is the epitome of crap, as the only two methods of contacting support are an American phone line and an online support forum which just tells me "Sorry this service is unavailable in your location" whenever I try to log on or create a profile, which is basically just adding insult to injury.

Is anyone else getting these same problems, or better still, does anyone know what can be done to fix it? I've looked about for a way to downgrade to the old firmware but I can't seem to find one. As a last resort, is there a way to format the device completely and then reinstall all the updates and music onto it. Would that even work?