Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-31-2007, 06:04 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker
Default My laptop is dead

Well, my laptop is finally dead. The power connector was unreliable, so I took it apart and soldered it back onto the board. Upon reassembling it it will not boot, just a black screen. I feel retarded for messing with it.

It may have been just an old Pentium 2, but that laptop got used more and pushed harder than any laptop I've ever seen. My friends with their brand new laptops don't use them nearly as much as I used my old Tecra.

So now, I have to fall back onto my Axim for a mobile computer until I figure out a way to obtain another laptop. Any suggestions? I'm a student. It needs to be able to run Windows XP smoothly, thats just about my only requirement.

Any sympathy would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Cybrid
Pontificator
Default Re: My laptop is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelacrane
Well, my laptop is finally dead. The power connector was unreliable, so I took it apart and soldered it back onto the board. Upon reassembling it it will not boot, just a black screen. I feel retarded for messing with it.

It may heve been just an old Pentium 2, but that laptop got used more and pushed harder than any laptop I've ever seen. Noonne, not even my friends with brand new laptops take advantage of them like I did with mine.

So now, I have to fall back onto my Axim for a mobile computer until I figure out a way to obtain another laptop. Any suggestions?

I'm a student. A laptop needs to be able to run Windows XP Home.

Any sympathy would be appriciated.
Dude, that sux...
Consider it a learning experience...I've broken a few repairs myself and gotten better as I got some experience.
Take it apart again and start component testing. See if your solder is shorting something.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

The laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 8000. The reason I took it apart: The power connector was not working all of the time, I was always having to mess with the cord to get it to go onto AC. Upon taking it apart, it looked like one of the solder joints on the mobo/connector was cracked. I soldered it back together, and then I plugged just the mobo into the power adapter. I then used a test light on the underside of the board to make sure the connector was getting power consistently.

It was my first ever solder job. Wasn't clean, but it is miles away from any other components so it should be fine.

Upon re-assembly, as mentioned, it would not start. Black screen. The lights all come on normally, and they also indicate that my solder fix didn't work.

I'm tempted to buy another lower-end Tecra and yank the mobo out of it.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Cybrid
Pontificator

Clear the CMOS,
Re check all the connections;
Drive, Display, keyboard and anything else that you had to take apart.
Don't spend money on it! Save the cash for a new laptop.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Cybrid
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelacrane
Upon re-assembly, as mentioned, it would not start. Black screen. The lights all come on normally, and they also indicate that my solder fix didn't work.
Ok, so the lights are on but no-one's home?
Check the display connections and test by using an external VGA monitor.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

Even if I do get it working again, I'll still have to deal with that connector. Not sure how to fix that. Are those a common Radioshack item?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

I also cannot find out how to reset the CMOS. Unplug batteries and hit the power button? I just cant seem to find a solution.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

You aren't going to believe this...

The ram wasn't seated correctly. I did check it, but when I put it in the second time, I once again seated it incorrectly.

My solder job didn't work. Also, my second battery must have discharged in storage, it refuses to take a charge. My main battery "holds a charge" but only lasts about 20 minutes. Man, these things are frustrating.

I'm very VERY glad to have it back.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Cybrid
Pontificator

Glad to see "It's alive!!".
Ok, so now back to the solder...Any Pics?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

Its possible, but it would be a ton of work to get the laptop back apart again. How critical is it?

I really think the connector is messed up inside.