Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-20-2006, 03:40 AM
scottb
Theorist
Default New Posts Search Not Working?

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, so here goes. Lately, the New Posts search returns no matches. I used to get results on my PC, but not when browsing from my mobile device. Now I never get results regardless of where I'm browsing from.

After getting no results on the search, I can browse the forums and find posts I have not read yet, so Iknow there are actually new ones.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:44 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

I live by the "new posts" link. I haven't had any issues. There is one older bug that never seems to get fixed. If you follow a link from the reply notification emails it breaks the new post thing. I always visit the site and then hit new posts. Could that be what you are seeing?

Old 07-20-2006, 03:53 AM
scottb
Theorist

Thanks. Actually I know about that bug so I never take the link from the email. Would clearing my cookies make a difference? I can give that a try. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Edit: I just cleared the cookies and got two new posts on the search! I'll see what happens.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
Edit: I just cleared the cookies and got two new posts on the search! I'll see what happens.
Dang cookies. I wouldn't mind so much if they actually tasted good. But they don't and they are always causing problems. :lol:

Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb
Thanks. Actually I know about that bug so I never take the link from the email. Would clearing my cookies make a difference? I can give that a try. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

For next time, just go into cookies and clear the ones related to Smartphone Thoughts. They are located at C:\Documents and Settings\{your name or login}\Temporary Internet Files . The name has www.smartphonethoughts.com in it.

I don't like to just clear all my cookies as they hold all the logins and stuff that I then have to re-enter the next time I visit sites/forums/etc.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:06 PM
scottb
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
For next time, just go into cookies and clear the ones related to Smartphone Thoughts. They are located at C:\Documents and Settings\{your name or login}\Temporary Internet Files . The name has www.smartphonethoughts.com in it.

I don't like to just clear all my cookies as they hold all the logins and stuff that I then have to re-enter the next time I visit sites/forums/etc.
Thanks. It seems to work better for me if I log out each time I leave the site. Not sure why I have to do that, but if it works, I'll do it.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 PM
TopDog
Sage
Send a message via Skype™ to TopDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
They are located at C:\Documents and Settings\{your name or login}\Temporary Internet Files .
Not to start a browser-flame-war, but that just relates to those "few" using Internet Explorer...

Firefox, Opera and most other browsers have a GUI option to tidy up your cookies.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog
Firefox, Opera and most other browsers have a GUI option to tidy up your cookies.
And so does IE. But the menu option doesn't usually let you pick one specific cookie to blow away.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

I'm having the same problem. I've turned off the notifications (so that I'm not tempted to click on the link), I've deleted cookies, and I've tried logging out and logging back in. It's kind of frustrating...

Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

If you're still having problems, try deleting the cookie. it should fix things.