Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Adult ADD Strengths?

http://channels.lockergnome.com/wind...h_career.phtml

I've sometimes wondered about ADD, and this article was a bit of an eye opener because I feel like I have several of the strengths the list. I always thought my momma' just raised me well, but maybe it's Adult ADD. :lol:

Anyone else see themselves in this article?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
PetiteFlower
Magi

I don't think that the author is trying to say that ONLY people with ADD have these qualities. I think he's just trying to see the bright side of a very frustrating disability. In fact, this is the reason why for so long ADHD was thought of as a kid's disorder, something that you outgrow - because as people with it grow up, they tend to gravitate towards jobs that play to these strengths and are forgiving of their weaknesses, so that the symptoms are less noticed(even though studies show adults with ADD tend to have more trouble with money and have a harder time keeping jobs and are *statistically* less successful then those without). But it's nice to see someone point out that it's not all bad. Me, I couldn't survive a day at the office without my meds, but the ADD doesn't go away just because I take them....basically it allows me to control the more annoying symptoms (fidgeting, distraction) so that I can access the hyperfocused, hyperobservant, highly creative part of my ADD brain

Only other thing I'd point out though is that this really only applies to highly intelligent ADD sufferers. People with ADD (as a group) are not smarter then other people, they cover the whole spectrum; the ones who are on the average-to-low end of the bell curve are going to be less able to use these strengths. If the brain is just moving too fast for the person to really absorb the information being learned, then that person is going to have a harder time learning new things then someone of comparable intelligence without ADD.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteFlower
Me, I couldn't survive a day at the office without my meds, but the ADD doesn't go away just because I take them...
If I may ask, how were you diagnosed? That's my biggest concern with things such as this - every doctor I know (except for one) is always so eager to perscribe medication without bothering to really dig into the problem.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:13 AM
PetiteFlower
Magi

Oh, I've always known I have it, as long as I can remember anyway, but when I was in college and almost lost yet ANOTHER job because of my inability to focus, I wanted to get some treatment, so I did it the right way. Got the full battery of psychological testing and the official diagnosis. I think I had a consult or 2 with a psychiatrist too, when I started on the meds, so that I could get the right drug and dosage settled. Now I just get the scripts from my family doctor, but if I ever want to change the dosage or anything, I go back to a psychiatrist for it, since that's who has the most experience with psychoactive drugs. Not that I think he'd do it anyway because he's a good doctor, but I'd never ask my PCP to write me a script to treat something that I "think maybe I have"!

Also, I don't know about Canada but in the US, all the ADHD drugs on the market are controlled substances, so most docs (at least the reputable ones) aren't going to write anyone a script just because they ask for it. It's not like prozac or those kinds of drugs.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

It's an interesting list, and I suppose making the most out of a disorder is a good way to approach it.

Another good source of first & second opinions are university psychology clinics. Normally these clinics are staffed with advanced graduate students under the supervision of licensed Psychologists, and provide services at a fraction of the cost of going to a psychologist in private practice. They can administer all the appropriate batteries necessary for diagnosis, and refer patients to psychiatrists when necessary for perscriptions. I'd recommend anyone who thinks they have ADD to get at least 2 opinions on the matter before starting a drug treatment, and a psychology clinic at a local university may be a quick, easy, and low-cost second opinion.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:39 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I haven't been formally diagosed with ADD but I strongly suspect I have it (note to self: make an appointment about this). I find all the advantages in the article to be true of me, but the one thing that stood out was the Ability to Hyperfocus blurb. I don't get to that point very often, but when I do, the results are amazing.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

When I take the online tests, I often come up as having ADHD. I exibit a lot of the "positives" mentioned in the article. The last time I saw my family doctor, my wife wanted me to ask about ADHD and see about medication, but I'm not really eager to dedicate the rest of my life to dependence on a pill if I don't really need it.

Two things that I notice help or hinder my "symptoms" of ADHD: sleep and nutrition. If I'm not sleeping well and I'm eating terribly, my symptoms are much worse. If I get enough sleep (with a 6 month old and an 18 month old, that isn't likely) and I eat "right", I can concentrate better.

Of course, I could just be lazy, because I can spend all day surfing the web and not two minutes on what I'm supposed to be working on. I guess that's the hyperfocusing. I spend the better part of this morning tweaking my blog template and completely ignoring work and school that I could have been doing.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
If I may ask, how were you diagnosed?
After coping with the very difficult situation of having a son who wasn't diagnosed with ADD until high school, about 18 months ago I realized I had many of the same frustrating traits he exhibited. So, I went to a licensed psychologist who diagnosed my ADD based upon history, interviews and an actual computer-based test (much more rigorous and defensible than online "tests"). The computer-based test basically required me to hit a key on the keyboard whenever an "X" appeared on the screen. As many, many letters sequentially appeared, the test showed that I got worse and worse in noticing and quickly reacting to the Xs when they appeared. The test took about 15 minutes.

I would agree that sometimes doctors prescribe ADD and ADHD meds too quickly, but in my case, they've become essential to my well-being.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

BTW, I disagree with the article's comments about multi-tasking. In my experience, people with ADD like to have many tasks/projects going at once and like to jump between them. BUT, seeing any of them through to completion is a real challenge.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:22 AM
PetiteFlower
Magi

If you think you can function just fine without meds, then don't take them. I don't enjoy taking them, they're expensive and they have annoying side effects, if I could work without taking them I would. However you may still benefit from getting evaluated for it; some education and tips on how to control your environment and minimize your symptoms might still help.

I can multitask great, problem is not only finishing all the multiple tasks but that at least half of them aren't going to be related to actual work