Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Create An eAnnoyance, Go To Jail

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?part=rss&tag=6022491&subj=news

"Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime. It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity. In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess."

Well, that is the end of usenet as we know it. :lol: I'd like to know what the definition of annoying is too. Is it considered annoying when you register under a different user ID then pimp your website in a post, pretending to be giving an authentic recommendation? Or what about stealing images from this site then watermarking them as if you had procured them originally? That annoys me, but that may fall below the threshold of the criminal offence targeted by this law. This law may have all of the teeth of the anti-spam laws in place too.

I do want to take the time to thank the moderators on this site. :werenotworthy: They do a fantastic job of rooting out the annoyers that register under different names and killing the posts, and also thank the members of this site. It is a remarkably well behaved site, so we have very little annoying going on. But for some of you out there... :twak: :wink: :rotfl: