Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus
Default People Not Flocking To Multipurpose Cell Phones

http://mobileanalystwatch.blogspot.com/2005/09/people-not-flocking-to-multipurpose_06.html

"USA Today looks at the convergence of cell phones and consumer electronic devices as the impending launch of the Apple iPhone looms. Although the industry is rolling out new handsets with multimedia capabilites, many question if consumers even want such functionality. David Chamberlain, at In-Stat said, "People are not really flocking to phones with new features. They just want to talk on the phone." According to a recent In-Stat survey, there is relatively little interest so far in new phone add-ons, such as video."

It's true folks. Most people don't need to watch a 2 hour movie on their cell phone or listen to hours of music on them either. I think the iPhone recently announced is just another egg Motorola has laid. Especially considering its silly limitations such as a 100 song limit and you can't download music over the air. Are these companies just making stuff up as they go or do they really know what we want?

Old 09-08-2005, 10:21 PM
seaflipper
Intellectual

I think it's a real victory for the consumer that Cingular didn't require that the ONLY way you could download your songs was over the air!

Sure it would be nice to have an option, but (besides slow as hell on GPRS) Cingular would charge and arm and a leg for that. I think that while the 100 song limitation is going to be a hurdle for some, the fact that it's iTunes is the real power of this thing. Too bad it isn't a prettier phone though...

Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM
sojourner753
Thinker
Default Re: People Not Flocking To Multipurpose Cell Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Raia
Are these companies just making stuff up as they go or do they really know what we want?
I think thats just it. Everyone is caught up in the Apple iPod effect. OEMs and ODMs et al, think that if they add something shiny to their devices then the consumers will be mesmerized and flock to it.

Also, they're a bit blinded by the acceptance of the camera phone. Though I wonder if that success was more about reducing the choices of non-camera phones. :roll:

Old 09-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: People Not Flocking To Multipurpose Cell Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner753
Also, they're a bit blinded by the acceptance of the camera phone. Though I wonder if that success was more about reducing the choices of non-camera phones. :roll:
I think that has a lot to do with it. How many phones don't have cameras? Of the higher end phones I think the answer is none.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

doesnt it use microSD memory cards? in theory cant you just get a lrger one and hold more songs? either way i prefer my 5600, it holds a lot of songs and i dont need itunes

Old 09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

When will manufacturers stop following the hype and start using some common sense. :roll:

As a normal cell phone user, I feel stranded between the cell phones with features either dictated by business users or by teenagers. On one end the manufacturers think RIM is cool and are chasing RIM and on the other end they think camera, ring tones and songs are cool. While back it swappable face plates for the phones.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kumar
While back it swappable face plates for the phones.
Well maybe they are a bit confused. I mean when people line up to get flashing light keypads and blinking antennas they might be getting the wrong idea. :lol:

Old 09-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalsaint
doesnt it use microSD memory cards? in theory cant you just get a lrger one and hold more songs? either way i prefer my 5600, it holds a lot of songs and i dont need itunes
Not that I noticed. It doesn't appear to have any memory expansion capabilities what so ever. :roll:

Old 09-09-2005, 01:53 AM
Mark Larson
Theorist

I believe there is a 100 song limit in the iTunes software on the phone. No such limit on the E398.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Temporale
It doesn't appear to have any memory expansion capabilities what so ever. :roll:
I'm shocked that Motorola would put out such a product! ukeface: