Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2004, 03:36 PM
shawnc
Pontificator
Default Firefox 1.0 - Random Thoughts

Sundays are typically slow news days so I figured I'd share my recent experience and see if I could get some insight from the community.

The problem with being a non-technical member of a technical site is that by the time I try something that I think is new and great, most folks probably yawn and think 'man, that's old news'. After reading about how IE is terribly unsafe and will likely not be secure in my lifetime, and hearing so much about Mozilla's Firefox, I finally decided to take the plunge. This was undoubtably the smoothest transition from one package to another I have ever experienced. The install was flawless as was the process of importing my previous favorites. A quick check of accessing my favorites and visiting some secure sites has revealed no problems....yet. Also, I love the layout. Much simpler and more straightforward than IE. I haven't noticed an increase in performance but I also haven't noticed any degradation.

All in all, I am very impressed so far. Any developer writing new software would be well advised to look at the Firefox model. Installation should be made for the masses, not the technical few. Any installation that involves modifying or reviewing ".sys files" or the PC "registry" has failed. Most folks have no clue about those things.

Oh well, so far so good. I'm sure many of you have abandoned IE long ago. For those who have switched, what are you using and what are your impressions? For those who haven't switched, why not?

As always, thanx in advance for the input.