Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Move over DVD, Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is here...soon...maybe

I thought this story may spark interest in the "media-buff".

The new HVD can store up to 1TB and has transfer speeds of 1GB/sec.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:18 PM
PetiteFlower
Magi

Yes, because we need ANOTHER format change requiring us to re-buy all our movies *puke* No thanks.

I'm just now starting to replace my videos with DVDs, heck I still have TAPES I haven't replaced with CDs yet! But DVDs are significantly superior to videos because of the special features and the playback quality and the lack of need to rewind etc, so I don't feel too bad about replacing them(it will be a slow process though!), plus the added bonus of them taking up less space. But the reason that minidiscs and other kinds of music formats have not taken off is because people want to have their whole collection in one format, and they're not going to take the time and expense to convert an entire collection unless it offers significant benefit. More speed and slightly better quality and bigger capacity is just not enough.

Though these might take off for data, once the media and burners are affordable. Who needs hard drives with that kind of removable storage!

Old 08-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Darius Wey

I had a thought this morning. Let's say the HVD really does take off. HVD burners arrive for the PC and become dirt-cheap to purchase (eventually). What will that do to hard disks? 8)

Old 08-28-2004, 11:29 AM
bjornkeizers
Sage

Man that disk looks strange! 8O

Personally, I hope DVD will be around a for another few years at least. I own over 120 movies and a lot of series on DVD, and I'd hate to have to buy them again if the format changes too much.

Old 08-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers
Personally, I hope DVD will be around a for another few years at least. I own over 120 movies and a lot of series on DVD, and I'd hate to have to buy them again if the format changes too much.
Based on observations for the past couple of decades, everytime a new format comes out, companies choose to recreate and digitalise their productions to suit the new format, and I think this will follow on for many years to come. They'll use any strategy to keep their films "alive" and make money in the process.