Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-09-2004, 05:20 AM
dean_shan
Mystic
Default ATTN Firefox Users

Hey just giving fellow Firefox users a heads up. A security hole was found in Firefox. So make sure to go and download the new version 0.9.1

Old 07-09-2004, 05:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Interesting. Since there has been a huge suge in Firefox/Mozilla downloads, there's suddenly more scrutiny of the browser, and holes are going to be found. No doubt there are hackers out there starting to poke and prod at it. And, worse, Firefox doesn't seem to have an "UPDATE" function or any way to automatically check for patches. :-(

I'm using Firefox, and it's not bad, but it's very un-polished.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:31 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
And, worse, Firefox doesn't seem to have an "UPDATE" function or any way to automatically check for patches. :-(
They say that will be in the next revision.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:39 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
They say that will be in the next revision.
Ah, good to hear!

Old 07-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: ATTN Fireforx Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
Hey just giving fellow Firefox users a heads up. A security hole was found in Firefox. So make sure to go and download the new version 0.9.1
It sounds like the bug also affects Mozilla users (of which I'm one). I guess I'll have to upgrade....

Steve

Old 07-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Mozilla Vulnerabilities

Quote:
Interesting. Since there has been a huge suge in Firefox/Mozilla downloads, there's suddenly more scrutiny of the browser, and holes are going to be found. No doubt there are hackers out there starting to poke and prod at it.
Actually, as this exploit uses browser helpers, which most browsers support, it sounds like it's an issue with most browsers. Whether the exact same exploit can work with IE, Mozilla, Opera, etc. or needs to be tailored to the browser is something I don't know.

However, I do agree that if another browser starts getting more popular, it's likely to get more interest from hackers. However, I suspect any other browsers will have to get a lot more popular (like 30% browser share) before you'll see a significant interest in exploiting them. IE will still be a better target.

Even more, in an article about browser security, Paul Thurrott noted reasons why it might not be as bad a problem even if another browser becomes dominant.

First, IE runs ActiveX items by default, which are notoriously insecure. You can run ActiveX items in other browsers with plug-ins, but the user has to specifically allow that.

Second, IE is integrated into the OS, making it more likely that the OS itself can be compromised. Mozilla, Opera and so on aren't integrated, and therefore are less likely to compromise the OS itself.

Steve

Old 07-09-2004, 11:16 AM
juni
Sage

As long as it doesn't get to where I have to update Firefox every week.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:26 PM
c38b2
Intellectual

0.9.1 came out a week or so ago, the current version is 0.9.2.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:30 PM
c38b2
Intellectual

Quote:
And, worse, Firefox doesn't seem to have an "UPDATE" function or any way to automatically check for patches. :-(
Double click in the right hand corner of the status bar at the bottom. :wink:

Old 07-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c38b2
Double click in the right hand corner of the status bar at the bottom. :wink:
Gee, THAT's obvious. :roll: :lol: Strangely enough it told me there were no updates, which doesn't sound right.

Now if I could only get the damn spell checker to work I'd be set! When I right click and do a spell check, the window loads, but there's no content in it. :-(