Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2004, 03:47 AM
Hyperluminal
Thinker
Default Reliable router?

Lately I've been looking for a new router. I had an SMC7004AWBR, but it had become very flaky, requiring resets (sometimes hard resets) on average every couple days; about two weeks ago, it completely died. So I got a US Robotics 8022 router from eBay to replace it, which has also been flaky.

The thing is, right now I'm still on dial-up, mostly due to the fact that that's all I have available (as far as I can tell) because of where we live.. So, I've had to get a router that supports dial-up.
I did find an ethernet modem made by Actiontec (which they call their Dual PC Modem), which I could use in conjunction with any regular router. The thing is, I want to get a router that actually works, and won't be flaky, and good tech support would help too.

So my question is, what companies seem reliable? I've heard good things about Linksys routers, but I've also read some bad reviews about them, in terms of reliability. Same with D-Link, and to the greatest extent NetGear. I've thought about buying an Apple Airport Extreme router, since it now works with Windows, has a built-in modem, and Apple is supposed to have very good support and reliability (for computers, at least; I imagine there probably isn't too big a discrepancy, especially since there's probably more profit in the Airport). Also, I've seen the Airport get almost nothing but good reviews online.

The Airport is definitely more expensive, but it does seem to be a good option (yes, even though it's Apple :lol: ). If that was the only one that was sure to be reliable (and assuming it is so reliable), then it may be worth the money. But first of all, what routers have you found that are reliable, and if any of you have had Airport routers, how good are they?

Anyway, my USR router is flaky, but it seems to have problems most when connecting or disconnecting to the internet. So I could just get the Dual PC Modem for it, and that may fix the problems it's having by not having it connect and disconnect by itself. Still, I would like to know what my other options are...