Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Default i am a bad person because i smoke!

Smoking a disaster, the worse addiction i have. I hate myself because i cant help my self and quit smoking. I tried several times but it didnt work.
But the easiest thing is finding excuses: hard working , stress and blah blah.

In my country smoking rate is very high. Most of my friends smoke, even my boss, he is a heavy smoker! When we discuss something in his room, everytime we start a fog of smoke

I bealive that in Europa people show less tolerant to smoking people. Is this true? According to laws, if you smoke in a closed place you have to pay about 150$ but yesterday i read that there has been noone who is forced to pay this money!!!

Old 07-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

I really sympathize with you on one key issue in your story - the fact that if everyone is smoking, you can't really escape it (i.e. the fog of smoke), hence you'll be more tempted to start again if you quit.

In the US, we've been cracking down steadily over the past 20 years on where and when people can smoke. In probably 90% of buildings here (i.e. office buildings, government buildings, etc..) smoking is prohibited. There usually aren't posted fines or punishments for smoking, people just accept it and smoke outside the doors. In restaurants, the once large smoking section has been getting smaller and smaller in the past few years, with some restaurants cutting it out all together.

If you need incentive to quit smoking, just remember the facts. Smoking WILL kill you in some way eventually. You will die earlier and (unfortunatly) more painfully than you would if you quit smoking today or tomorrow. Think about where you'll be in 30 - 50 years. Will you have kids or grandkids who you want to spend time with? Will you have friends who you've waited until retirement to spend time with only to find you don't have the time? Stuff like that usually can motivate you.

And if you need some pocketPC help along the way, I've heard good things about "My Last Cigarette" from Mastersoft.

Good luck,
Jon.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:31 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

Kowalski,

Good luck in your quest to quit. Just something to provide you with a little added (as if you need it) incentive, especially if you have kids. I lost both parents (my dad 3 weeks ago) to cancer. Forget what you see on TV, it is an ugly disease that strips one of all diginity. No doubt that my parents biggest regret was witnessing what their children went through during the dying process.

Another story, my brother in law once told me that he kicked cocaine, alcohol, and some other elicit drugs once he decided to straighten up. But of all the drugs he has tried, the one he could not kick is nicotene. Make no mistake, it's a drug. And the only reason it's legal is because governments can make money off of it. They are knowingly contributing to the dying all in the name of money. What a shame.

Keep at it. The fact that you recognize the problem is a good first step to conquering it. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:39 PM
chunkymonkey75
Intellectual

...sorry to hear about your parents, shawnc.

After seeing an aunt, an uncle, and a co-worker all die a painful death and am so very glad to have never started smoking. My aunt died from second-hand smoke. A week after, my father quite smoking for good (that was in 1990).

Old 07-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Sorry to hear about your parents shawnc.

My mother quit a while back. My stepfather quit after a successful operation to remove the cancerous part of his lung. My father still smokes. My brother started I think in late high school, even though he always hated it as a kid when people would smoke (apart from the cool smoke rings dad would blow...) In addition to the other stories here about the addictive nature of cigarettes, I'll add another. My father is the most laid-back person ever, apart from occasional driving or parking anger at people stealing spots, cutting him off, etc. But really, apart from that, he's waaaaay relaxed.

Except about cigarettes. When I was a kid, I apparently begged him one too many times to quit smoking. He got MAD at me. To my kid eyes, I'd never seen my father so angry about anything. I mean, I'm sure he has been... but that incident really stuck in my head. I don't ask him to quit anymore, I just don't let him smoke in my house or car. I try to angle us to non-smoking sections at restaurants. And I just worry about it and get depressed. It's really rather upsetting.

Old 07-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

shawnc - my most sincere condolences.

Kowalski, I quit smoking about 2 and a half years ago and haven't had a single cigarrette since. It was THE best thing I've ever done for myself.

For me, I got a number of suggestions of techniques at www.quitsmoking.com were very useful for me.

It is worth it - within two days of not smoking I felt I could breathe more clearly and felt better overall.

If you want any help/advice, feel free to PM me.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Fishie
Pontificator

I really need to quit myself.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:21 PM
dh
Mystic

Sorry to hear about your parents Shawn. Both my parents smoked and my mother ended up with throat cancer, although surgery luckely saved her.

One of the nice things about being in the US is that most places are smoke free. I hate it when I have to go back to Europe and feel as though I need to throw my clothes away because they smell so bad.

Old 07-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default My Last Cigarette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadarkmcse
And if you need some pocketPC help along the way, I've heard good things about "My Last Cigarette" from Mastersoft.
Check out the review of "My Last Cigarette" at pocketnow. Apparently it's for people who have actually stopped smoking (or at least think they have :-)).

Steve (who fortunately doesn't smoke)

Old 07-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Very sorry to hear about your parents, shawnc. My dad has smoked for his entire life and I don't think he'll quit soon. He smoked a pipe for years, and now he smokes cigarettes.

I smoke the occasional pipe, maybe once every other month, and a clove cigarette every once in awhile. I've never been even remotely tempted to start smoking on a regular basis.

I think the best arguments against smoking are a) what's in them, and b) what they do to your lungs. Warning: the lungs link shows ACTUAL lungs from the BodyWorlds exhibits. For the first link, check out the television spots.