Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-09-2003, 05:38 PM
lurch
Thinker
Default Front page items

Anybody else noticing how the front page posts by Jason tend to occur EXACTLY on the hour, or half-hour??
Hmmm... either Jason has exquisite timing or he's entering them all in "clumps" and then has them set to go off throughout the day so that people have to keep coming back and visiting the site to see what new announcements have been posted. :roll:

Maybe I'll just wait 'till the end of the day to check, that way I see everything all at once...

NAH. 8)

P.S. Jason - maybe you could set some posts to happen at odd times??? I'm thinking 8:42 instead of 8:30, etc..
This really is a HUGE deal!!!

Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 PM
pocketpcdude1024
Thinker

The latter, not the former, I assure you. Jason and Friends have a post timing system set up on the front page forums that allow them to set their posts to occur anytime in the future, minutes, hours, days, you name it Also, examine the New Year's Day Contest posts - those were all future set but totally random

Old 06-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Front page items

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch
Anybody else noticing how the front page posts by Jason tend to occur EXACTLY on the hour, or half-hour??
Hmmm... either Jason has exquisite timing or he's entering them all in "clumps"
We do that. That way there aren't 10 posts at 8:00am then nothing the rest of the day. It gives each item at least an hour or so of "top time" Plust some things are more important than others. iPAQ ROM upgrades get put up pretty quick. Links to some articles may get postponed until late in the day. Of course, massively OT posts get shunted until Friday afternoon.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Front page items

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch
Posting at odd times isn't part of my programming. :robot:

Old 06-09-2003, 06:00 PM
lurch
Thinker

I know that the timing system is used, can't you guys read my mind? I just found that out yesterday, and I guess it never registered until now that the front page items are posted at "amazingly accurate" times. Makes sense what you said Ed about giving each item some "top time"... hadn't thought of it that way.

Oh well, this thread was meant to be facetious & sarcastic anyway!!!

Old 06-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I think that's also the reason for the "hidden" posts that sometimes mean that a "new posts" search has a blank page at the end. The timed posts are hidden until a specified time, but in the meantime, they still affect the count of new posts.