Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-10-2003, 10:40 PM
ux4484
Thinker
Default What's your Windows 2K/XP Theme

Ken Mattern mentioned in THIS thread about using the Windows Standard theme with XP. At work we are actually required to bump all desktop themes down to the Windows standard menus with no transition effects etc.....so I was wondering:
What do YOU use for your desktop theme?
One of the standards?
One self created?
A constantly changing overlay via a third party app?

I rotate pics of my kids and tinker with the fonts a tad.

How do you like your menus?
Transitioned?
Fast?
Custom?
Personalized?

I use the old default snap to it menus with no effects or "personalized" menus (I want to see it ALL every time......at least at home)

I'd rather dicuss it than post pictures, as I know most folks don't want their kids or families pics online, not to mention the bandwidth considerations.
But if the powers that be would like to see them.......

Old 06-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

I set mine back to the Win2k "Classic" view with no personalized menus.

I haven't checked the transition effects yet.

Why does your company insist on no effects and such? I'd think it's your decision if you want it nice and fancy, but slower or not.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I turn off effects. I use the classic start menu organization, but with the XP color/image set (if that makes sense). No "recently used" - just the regular interface. I tend to not go into "Programs" all that much, but make separate folders in the top-level start menu for Applications, Internet, Games, etc., and put shortcuts to just the .exes in there. There's a lot of extra stuff in Programs that I don't have to look at using my method.

Oh, and at the top I have a __Drives__ and a __Folders__ folder that has shortcuts to regularly accessed locations, like the data drive, the My Documents folder, etc. I use the "_" character to make sure those stay at the top...

Given this, one might think that my desk is neat and tidy and organized too.... :roll:

PS - one other thing - I make sure that in my folders I display hidden non-system files and I make sure file extensions show! Man, that annoys me when I use other people's machines.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:02 PM
ux4484
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob
Why does your company insist on no effects and such? I'd think it's your decision if you want it nice and fancy, but slower or not.

It's a "uniformity" thing, and they're quite anal about it. They allow a picture on your desktop (as long as it doesn't offend anyone on the planet) but that's about it.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:19 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Themes? We Don't Need No Stinking Themes!

Themes? We don't need no stinking themes!

I like my active window to have a light green frame with a dark green title bar, and inactive windows to have bright red borders with dark red title bars. (Green for go, red for stop, get it? :-D)

It seems that the Advanced settings are ignored if you set "Windows XP style" in the Windows and buttons control on the Appearance tab of the Display control panel applet. That means I have to use "Windows Classic style" to get the colors I like. (If I'm wrong, let me know.)

If the only way to get those colors in "Windows XP style" is to use a theme, I think that's stupid. And, if that's true, why isn't the Advanced button grayed out?

Steve

Old 06-11-2003, 06:52 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Here's mine - slightly tweaked WinXP "silver" theme (small file, only 50k):

Old 06-11-2003, 02:42 PM
ux4484
Thinker

Now we know Snacks' is a person who REALLY likes their avatar

Kati,

I use the "toolbar" feature on the taskbar for oft used folders, one of them includes shortcuts for my most used apps which is why when I go to Start/Programs I want to see everthing else.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:30 PM
bdeli
Thinker

Here comes mine - I change the whole theme / visual style every few days - lots of modding...

Old 06-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux4484
I use the "toolbar" feature on the taskbar for oft used folders, one of them includes shortcuts for my most used apps which is why when I go to Start/Programs I want to see everthing else.
I do too, but I limit it to about 6 of the absolutely most frequently used programs, so as not to use up all the space on the bar. But nearly *all* my programs are in my Start menu filing system, and they're much more accessible than if I had to hunt through "Programs".