Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default What is on your task bar most of the time

The Google Deskbar thread made me wonder how many of you have room on your task bar to give up for the new utility. I don't. This is my taskbar.

Sorry, but the nature of this thread means it won't be mobile friendly and even desktops will need to scroll.

Outlook 2003 is always running, but the other 10+ apps change depending on whether I am at home or work (this is a laptop.) The last toolbar on the top row is my desktop flyup menu. Across the bottom is my Application toolbar which has Desktop, WMP9, Office 2003 apps (Outlook, Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, FrontPage, OneNote), Money 2004, Textpad, Calculator, eWallet, ListPro, PaintShop Pro 8, Animation Shop 3, HanDBase, Citrix and (not shown - use chevron) Task Scheduler, Windows Explorer. Then there is my Internet Toolbar which is showing 3 Forte Agent servers. The flyup on that has 7 more Agent servers (come on multiple server support Agent 2.x!!!) FTP Explorer, Audibe Manager and Internet Explorer. Finally, Window Media Player 9 when it is minimized.

So where would I possibly put the Google Desktop Bar? I wish it would fit under the dead area under the start bar.

Old 11-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Perhaps you could drag some of your toolbars off the taskbar and make them into their own toolbars on the desktop on the sides of your screen.

And quite frankly, I reckon these Google bars and whatever bars that they have for the desktop and browser are just resource-hoggers, etc. etc. 0X

Old 11-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Kevin C. Tofel
Thinker

Ed, I'm disappointed.....you still have room for SETI@Home in your tray.....

:wink:

As far as resouces, I did a quick monitor of the Google taskbar......no CPU when not active and only 500K of sysetem memory....not too bad.....

KCT

Old 11-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Ed Hansberry

I have over 25,000 units in my SETI@Home account. I just don't run it on my laptop. Even at low priority, it messes with outlook. :evil:

Old 11-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Kevin C. Tofel
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I have over 25,000 units in my SETI@Home account.
Whew.....I once again hold you in the highest esteem....you had me scared for a minute there, but since you have roughly 10x more packets crunched than I do, you're back in my good graces!! :lol:

KCT

Old 11-08-2003, 09:23 PM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Ed, dont you mean Office 2004? Office 2003 Pro (We have) doesnt have OneNote. (Or is it added on after?)

-Justin.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

It's considered an Office 2003 application even though it's not included in most (all?) of the Office bundles.

http://office.microsoft.com/onenote

Seeing has how Office 2003 has just come out, we're definitely not talking about Office 2004.

--janak

Old 11-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C. Tofel
Whew.....I once again hold you in the highest esteem....you had me scared for a minute there, but since you have roughly 10x more packets crunched than I do, you're back in my good graces!! :lol:
I'm Ed H. on the MVP team. http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...eam_94838.html

Justin, OneNote is part of the Office System 2003 family but it isn't bundled with any Office package that I know of, just like Visio and Project. You have to buy them separately.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Kevin C. Tofel
Thinker

Interesting.....I'm wondering how many PPC users are also crunching SETI packets.....I see a poll forthcoming......

I'd also be curious how many PC's folks are using with the SETI screensaver in a single location.....hmmmm.....

Thanks!
KCT

Old 11-08-2003, 09:50 PM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Ah ha! I see, thanks Ed and Janak. So we have the latest office, 2003 Pro, but not with the latest addons, we have Visio but not OneNote or project (none of which I would use) so, its all good

-Justin.

P.S - How do you take screenshots of your Taskbar? Do you hit Print screen and then edit the file in Photoshop or something?