Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Smartphone 2002: solid software meets mobile phone

http://www.businessanyplace.net/?p=smartphone2002

The Smartphone 2002 is an important step towards innovation in the mobile phone market. It is built on top of an operating system, the same as in current Pocket PCs, that can drive both consumer and enterprise features very well. Combine the software in this phone with quality hardware manufactured by companies with a brand, ie anyone of the top five mobile phone manufacturers, and without too many "first version" phone problems - then this is what I've waited for for a long, long time.

My friend Chris Forsberg and myself have had the opportunity to work with the Smartphone 2002 SDK and we're glad to be able to share some screen shots from the emulator. One of them is this Home Screen skin! Expect to see much, much more news about the Smartphone 2002 in the near future! I will return back to Pocket PC Thoughts in a short while with more in depth analysis about what this smart mobile phone can do.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:13 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher
Default Catching up

Good to see M$ a finally beginning to catch up. It looks very pretty and colorful... there's nice.

And it compares quite favourably with the competition;

Hmmmmm...., it does seem to be lacking in the 'inbox' department though and the Contacts seems to be a cut down version of the PocketPC contacts which is a cut down version of the application used on Windows!

Where does SMS and FAX come in (I know SMS is pants compared to E-mail but the fact remains that people still use it)? Are these separate applications? If so, is there any seamless integration? Will my spelling ever improve?

But for me to consider it as a communication device, it'll need to be easy to use as a phone (with desktop (speaker) phone, headset and hold-to-the-head (boil yer brain) options), have better bog-standard PIM than the PPC, be expandable and be able to interface with all my friends, most of whom still have normal mobile phones.

:lol: Let's hope the batteries last longer than the half-a-shift PocketPC though!

Old 02-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Hmm...I don't know whether this will be acceptable or not for a phone interface. A little too menuish. On the other hand, Microsoft may be onto something with the custom theme feature. Consumers already love changing the faceplates of their Nokia's.

The biggest problem Microsoft faces now is partnership. No one seems to want Smartphone 2002. I'm afraid this product will take off as poorly as WinCE.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:49 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default Smart Phones

I am affraid I have to agree with Foo Fighter. It seams that early adopters for the smartphone platform are neerly nonexistant. What's worse Is there are just NO really outstanding CDMA Hanset OEMs.

Old 02-18-2002, 05:56 PM
innersky
Ponderer

So, when will the SDK be available for other developers :?:

Old 02-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

Hey andy,

I think you better charge your battery...

Old 02-18-2002, 07:36 PM
JohnnyFlash
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by innersky
So, when will the SDK be available for other developers :?:
where to get this SDK from??? on www.sendo.com there is only a promise of this SDK!!!! (and they are first company to relase actual phone with it)

Old 02-18-2002, 07:36 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default menus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Hmm...I don't know whether this will be acceptable or not for a phone interface. A little too menuish.
No more menuish than a WAP internet site. I think people are becoming accustomed to it.

Old 02-18-2002, 07:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

...so much doubt and negativity! :cry:

Old 02-18-2002, 08:02 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default negativity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
...so much doubt and negativity! :cry:
I am excited by anothing that furthers the market penetration of Pocket devices. The SmartPhone I think is a winner from these pictures, but the observations made on useability have to be considered. I am sure that MS has spent alot of time to refine how it would be used with various study groups... they won't repeat the mistake of the first WinCE devices.