Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Free Business Cards

This is completely off the Pocket PC path, but it's something that I personally benefited from and wanted to pass along. We might long for a digital existence, but old-fashioned business cards still make the world go 'round.

VistaPrint is a custom printing company that has a unique offer: 250 business cards, full colour, heavy 100 lbs. stock, for free. Sounds too good to be true right? Not really - the put a small VistaPrint logo on the back, but for a few bucks you can remove it. I had some cards printed up last year, and was shocked at how good they were for being a "freebie". They also have an incredibly cool ActiveX-based custom software program that lets you create your own cards, all in a browser window.

You'll also be helping this site if you get the free cards - they toss me a buck for every free order. Not a lot, but if 10,000 of you order the cards I can do updates from a beach in Fiji. Wouldn't that be nice? ;-) And even if you don't need business cards, it's always good to have generic contact cards made up - if you want someone to call you, just hand 'em your card. I actually did this once years ago in a restaurant where I thought the female bartender was cute. But where was I? ;-)

I'm planning on using this offer to print up my Pocket PC Thoughts business cards, and they also have some great offers on full-colour post cards. Click to get the free stuff.

Old 02-08-2002, 12:06 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus
Default Cool deal

I am getting married in September and wanted to include a simple business card in our invitations that would give folks the URL to our website. This is a much better solution than those "50 business cards for $6" machines in the mall (do they still exist?).

Anyways, thanks for the link. That's $1!! :wink:

Old 02-08-2002, 01:11 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Innovative thinking JR! :lol: I haven't seen the machines you're talking about, but there are so many things you can use cards for...you'll be pleased with the quality! Now back to designing my Pocket PC Thoughts business cards...

Old 02-08-2002, 01:27 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Family business cards

Hmmm. Maybe this would be good to get my oldest kids? Hosting my own domain means my kids each have their own unique father controlled email address :wink: . It could make them feel important to also have a business card to give school friends.

Old 02-08-2002, 02:12 AM
RLBogue
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to RLBogue

Ok, dragging the conversation even more off topic...

My son was born recently and I gave serious considerations to printing business cards for him. VistaPrint has some templates that are "baby" centric. I eventually decided on some post cards instead.

The post cards turned out GREAT. Thick stock, good picture... I was very impressed.

Old 02-08-2002, 02:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Hmmm. Maybe this would be good to get my oldest kids? Hosting my own domain means my kids each have their own unique father controlled email address :wink: . It could make them feel important to also have a business card to give school friends.
What the heck, it's free right? Go for it! Besides, I want to buy a hamburger tonight for dinner, so I could use the money... :lol:

Old 02-08-2002, 04:27 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
...I want to buy a hamburger tonight for dinner, so I could use the money... :lol:
I find it rather funny they give you a commision on a free product. They print some nice cards for me for free (plus s/h) and give Jason $1?!?!? Thats one crazy business plan...

Old 02-08-2002, 04:57 AM
michael
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadave
Quote:
...I want to buy a hamburger tonight for dinner, so I could use the money... :lol:
I find it rather funny they give you a commision on a free product. They print some nice cards for me for free (plus s/h) and give Jason $1?!?!? Thats one crazy business plan...
Step One Give aware free cards.
Step Two
Step Three Profit!

Old 02-08-2002, 08:04 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

You'd be surprised - I bet once you get the product and see the quality, you'll come back for more. They profit in the end!

Old 02-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Quote:
You'd be surprised - I bet once you get the product and see the quality, you'll come back for more. They profit in the end!
This sounds similar to www.gatherround.com (which is no more). They offered 50 free color photo prints (through Ofoto). As you can see, Gatherround is no longer! I don't want to sound pesimistic (to late huh?) but seems like the bussiness plan doesn't always work quite right. Well, I guess it is working for you Jason!