Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default iTunes Questions from a Newbie

I decided to install iTunes and take it for a spin, to really use it, and see how it works. Initial installation was fast and simple, though the download size of 30 MB was a bit surprising (Quicktime is in there as well though). I declined to have it search for my music initially. After it loaded, I was impressed when I saw my network attached storage, a Maxtor Shared Storage drive, appearing in the list. I knew I had enabled the iTunes server functionality on it, so when I clicked on it in iTunes I was expecting to see a list of music. Instead, iTunes says "Loading LANDrive Music Jukebox" for several seconds (LANdrive is the name I gave it) then it simply pops back to the root library. I tried it several times, made sure that the NAS drive was configured properly, but no dive. I did a Google search and couldn't find any suggestions on what to try. Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

Giving up on the easy approach, I used the "Add Folder To Library" function to import music from the NAS drive manually over the network. It took perhaps 5-6 hours before it was finished indexing the songs, finding album art, and generating gapless playback profiles (I think that's what it said it was doing). What I didn't like was how during the initial scan (which took a couple of hours) the scanning window was locked - I couldn't use iTunes at all. Windows Media Player 11 is much smoother in this regard. Here's another problem I'm having: I've added music via the "Add Folder", but it doesn't seem to monitor that folder for new music. I added a new CD to the NAS drive, but it's been 30 minutes now and iTunes hasn't picked it up. I can find no option or setting related to folder monitoring - and in fact the help file has no mention of the word monitoring as it related to folders. So what am I missing here? How do you use iTunes with a NAS drive and have it scan for new music that you add?

The iTunes store is quite easy to use, though I haven't purchased any tracks yet - but how do you listen to samples from an entire album at once? So far it seems I have to double-click on each track one at a time, and there's no right-click functionality other than Copy. I don't know if it's a local problem with my ISP (my speed tests came back ok), but I'm also finding using the iTunes store very slow today - it's taking 20-30 seconds for every request to process and load a new page. Does the iTunes store have good days and bad days in terms of performance?