Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Adobe, Didn't You Know SP2 Was Coming Out?

Neil Enns from our review team sent me this rant and I thought it was worth making into a front page post. How many of you were bitten by this problem? Neil writes...

"As part of our planning for Hawaii my wife and I dropped a bundle on the Adobe Video Collection, in anticipation of all the editing fun we would have when we returned. Everything worked fine until it came time to export the movie to MPEG to burn to a DVD.

It turns out that Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 has miserable problems on Windows XP SP2 machines with Hyperthreaded CPUs. This manifests itself in a couple of ways, most annoyingly in a complete inability to export movies as MPEG using Adobe Media Encoder. The failures are random and the error messages useless. I'm also incapable of generating a complete rendered previews of my movies; the rendering fails silently. A search through the Adobe support site turns up absolutely no KB articles about these issues. The only way I found out I wasn't the only one having the problem was to read Adobe's user forums.

Windows XP SP2 has been in beta and Microsoft has been warning companies to test their software against it for at least a year. For a company like Adobe to allow such egregious problems to persist without so much as a KB article is inexcusable. C'mon Adobe! Where's the fix?"

Ouch, that's gotta' hurt - yet it's something I see every time there's a major update of Windows (usually a new version of the OS though). I remember when Windows 2000 came out - I wasn't able to use any of my external hardware (printer, scanner, etc.) for months until the drivers came out. Talk about a poor customer experience!