Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Looking for Advice on a Laptop

After 4 solid years of use, my Thinkpad T30 has finally called it quits. I was hoping that my laptop would hang on until the new year and I could grab a new pre-loaded Vista laptop. However, my luck seems to have run out. It all started a couple months ago when the built-in WiFi card stopped working. Then the PCMCIA WiFi card stopped, followed by some keys on the keyboard and a nice little twitch on the TrackPoint. At first, I thought it was software related, so I backed everything up and reformatted. It had been a couple years, so it was due for a fresh build anyway. Unfortunately, that didn't fix any of the issues. In fact, things seem to be getting worse. I'm not even trying anymore. I figure 4 years is good for a laptop.

The problem is, I don't know what to replace it with and I was wondering what you guys would suggest. I don't care for Dell's laptop offerings. Toshiba's always seemed a little slower and heavier than a similar product from a competitor. I've always used IBM ThinkPads and have no idea what to expect from Lenovo. Most of my time is spent doing email, web, meetings, and some programming. I'm thinking of a tablet, or a ultra portable type machine, but that doesn't mean I'm against a regular laptop. I would like room for lots of RAM (I use Virtual PC/Server a fair amount) and a significant size hard drive, say 80+ GB. One of the things I really liked about my ThinkPad was the video card. It supported higher than normal resolutions - doing 1400x1050 on a 14 inch screen.

So, what's hot on the market today? What are you using and how do you like it? If it was your hard earned money that was spent to buy it, would you buy it again?