Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Music Business Explores Wireless Frontier

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-09-25T062955Z_01_MCC523186_RTRUKOC_0_US-MUSIC-MOBILE.xml

"Wireless operators and record companies are starting to let mobile subscribers buy and download full songs over wireless networks directly to mobile phones capable of storing and playing music. As a big first step, Apple Computer and Motorola have partnered to create an iTunes-compatible mobile phone, dubbed the ROKR, capable of storing 100 songs and currently offered by Cingular. Will the result revolutionize both industries or just be another wireless hype machine met with tepid response and consumer apathy?"

I vote for "Wireless hype machine" which I think is evident based on the hype surrounding the ROKR. It's a long cry from the first mobile phone to allow users to play music, but if you read any of the press releases, you would think this is new and un-charted territory. :roll: Besides, I don't see any advantage of buying my music wirelessly over my cellphone. Besides, what happens when after you've paid for a song and start downloading it only to loose signal and the song? I would much rather browse and download to my computer and then transfer to the mobile device/player of my choice.