Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Content Creation & Management

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2007, 05:53 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle
Default How to Embed Album Art for Zune

I found a number of posts about album art, but none had instructions for getting it embedded (especially if you've already used WMP11 to "attach" it to your files).

How to Embed Album Art for Zune

Turns out the Zune 2 software won�t autotranscode WMA Lossless to WMA lossy for you. Sooooo, I have to convert my entire library, and then use that with the Zune. Not a huge deal, except for the fact that I used WMP11 to associate album art with each of my tracks. Why is that a problem?

Well, it turns out that WMP11 doesn�t actually embed the album art in the WMA file - it creates a series of JPG files in each album folder that it marks as Hidden/System. Yes, that�s right - art for each track is stored at the album level, so if you move a track to a different folder, you are hosed.

So, I�m going through the process of embedding album art for all of my tracks. Basically, that consists of:
  1. Deleting the Hidden/System files.
  2. Figuring out which WMA tracks (or MP3, AAC, etc.) don�t have embedded art already.
  3. For those tracks, finding and embedding the art.
Deleting the Hidden/System Files

WARNING: This will affect not only the files in the current folder, but also in ALL SUBFOLDERS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!

NOTE: I suggest backing up all of the �Folder.jpg� files first, just in case you can�t find the album art again. Do that between steps 2 and 3.
  1. From the root of your WMA folder, type:
    dir *.jpg /A /S
    This will display a list of all JPG files in all subdirectories. You should see some (or all) of the following:
    1. AlbumArtSmall.jpg
    2. Folder.jpg
    3. Album*.jpg
  2. You can�t delete or move the files until you remove the Hidden/System attributes. The following command will do that for the current directory, and all subdirectories:
    attrib -S -H *.jpg /S
  3. Finally, delete all of the album art files from the current directory and all subdirectories:
    del /S *.jpg
Finding the Tracks Without Art

I love MediaMonkey. Fire it up, then select the Album view from the tree on the left, then select�View� and then �Show Album Art with details�. Anything without a picture on it needs embedded art.
Embedding Album Art

There are two options: let MediaMonkey do it for you, or find the image and paste it using MediaMonkey.
  1. Let MediaMonkey do it for you:
    1. Select the album
    2. Press Ctrl+L (or right-click and select �Auto-tag from Web�)
    3. Click the �Auto-Tag� button
  2. Do it manually:
    1. Find the album art from:
      1. Google Image Search
      2. Wikipedia.org
      3. Artist�s home page
      4. AlbumArt.org
    2. Select all track in the album
    3. Press Shift+Enter (or right-click and select �Properties�)
    4. Click the �Album Art� tab.
    5. Right-click and select �Paste�
    6. Select �Save image to tag (if possible)�
    7. Click �OK� twice to finish.
Onlydarksets How to Embed Album Art for Zune

Last edited by onlydarksets; 02-06-2009 at 04:38 AM..