¹ Music Metadata: It's Here to Stay - Page 2 - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Jason: You have a lot of very nice scans, so that will probably be appreciated. Can you share your workflow to get them this nice?
Pretty straight forward...

1) Scan at 600dpi to PNG format
2) Open in photo editor (ACDSee Pro) and fix up any glaring scratches or issues, adjust contrast, brightness, etc. Might also tweak colour balance
3) Resize to 2500 x 2500 pixels, save as JPEG
4) Undo resize, then resize to 600 x 600 pixels, save as JPEG

And that's it.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

No, not using the online db lookup. Unchecked that long ago. I prefer not to involve local operations such as CD ripping/MP3 encoding in online database sources, having seen some odd results from such things years ago and developed a mistrust of such. Guess I'm selectively Luddite? As far as not being able to sort my music... I sort my playlists once, when generating that initial playlist.m3u file, which lives in the same folder as the MP3s, if any sorting is necessary. Tend to play albums in the order they're presented by the composers/artists. If I want an individual track, I select that manually. Again, guess all this meta-stuff is too newfangled for my humble musical tastes.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
No, not using the online db lookup. Unchecked that long ago. I prefer not to involve local operations such as CD ripping/MP3 encoding in online database sources, having seen some odd results from such things years ago and developed a mistrust of such. Guess I'm selectively Luddite?

I really have nothing more to say then, so I'll leave you and your tin foil hat alone.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Twain
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
...I'll leave you and your tin foil hat alone.
Jason, sorry to have to ask for an explanation for a joke, but what is meant by the reference to a "tin foil hat"? You've used that before and I don't get it. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM
timmy
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain View Post
Jason, sorry to have to ask for an explanation for a joke, but what is meant by the reference to a "tin foil hat"? You've used that before and I don't get it. Thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

Old 10-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I once met a fellow who actually wore one. Part of my growing up was in Kelowna, BC, and we had our share of crazies. This guy mumbled a lot about secret government agencies and lasers. Was constantly worried about the CIA taking him out at the knees with lasers. So he wrapped his knees in aluminum foil (referred to as 'tin foil' for some reason - perhaps the original consumer foil wraps were made of tin?) and also lined his baseball cap with foil to prevent them from stealing his thoughts. As nuts as he was... I kind of like that he existed.

But no, I don't share his paranoia Jason. I do see how corporations benefit from harvesting our personal information. Google is massively successful thanks to this behavior, and many Facebook plugin developers profit enormously from selling user's personal data without asking. Information has value for those seeking to sell us something. I just try to limit participation in what seems to me abusive profiteering.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
I do see how corporations benefit from harvesting our personal information. Google is massively successful thanks to this behavior, and many Facebook plugin developers profit enormously from selling user's personal data without asking. Information has value for those seeking to sell us something. I just try to limit participation in what seems to me abusive profiteering.
How you get to that from using CDDB to look up an album? You don't even have to put a legitimate email in most of the time - I use EAC to rip my CDs, and with one keystroke it tags all the songs on a CD. How on earth is that "personal information harvesting"?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Fine. I'll get to work on the tin foil hat.

But seriously, a lot of the albums in my collection don't have online data. I don't usually buy from major labels, in fact it's been quite a few years. I buy CDs direct from musicians, mostly working with small independent labels or doing it all homestyle. Oldtime, jazz, classical, most of my clients tend to be self-publishing, and from what I gather there's a fairly substantial global shift in that direction. When I buy CDs at various festivals, most are similarly un-connected to online databases.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM
timmy
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Pretty straight forward...

1) Scan at 600dpi to PNG format
Thanks Jason! I can see a difference from my attempts, I tried to scan directly to JPG in the size I wanted.. I can see my mistake now.. Well, well you learn something new every day

Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
But seriously, a lot of the albums in my collection don't have online data. I don't usually buy from major labels, in fact it's been quite a few years. I buy CDs direct from musicians, mostly working with small independent labels or doing it all homestyle. Oldtime, jazz, classical, most of my clients tend to be self-publishing, and from what I gather there's a fairly substantial global shift in that direction. When I buy CDs at various festivals, most are similarly un-connected to online databases.
I too buy some non-mainstream CDs, and when I put a CD into the drive and EAC can't identify it using a CDDB lookup, guess what I do? I type in all the album information so that the next time someone puts in that same CD from anywhere in the world, they'll have the track information. That's the community aspect of CDDB; you give back to others as a way of saying thanks for the work that other people have already done.