¹ Accessory Frustration - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Accessories

Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus
Default Accessory Frustration

I have a complaint.  I picked up my Zune (very) early this morning.  The Wal-Mart I purchased it from didn't even have the Zunes out on the self yet, so I excused them for not having any accessories out for purchase.  (It was only 12:30AM, after all.)   No problem, I figured.  I'll play with my Zune today at work, and I'll accessorize it on my way home.  I'm not a picky man.  All I require at this point are two accessories: a car charger, and a FM transmitter.   I can purchase them separately, or, as Microsoft has made it easy for me, purchase the Car Kit which contains everything I need.  I went to 3 Wal-Marts, 2 Best Buys, 1 Circuit City, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree... er Sears.  Number of stores selling Zunes: 7.  Number of stores selling even a single Zune accessory: 0.  What gives?  Is it truly that much to ask to be prepared for what is supposed to be a market changing product launch?  Everyone loses in this situation.  Microsoft loses out on not only accessory sales, but possibly Zune sales as well since there were no accessories available.  The stores lose out on add-on sales.  The customer loses out because HE CAN'T LISTEN TO HIS ZUNE IN THE CAR LIKE HE WANTS TO!   Has anyone else noticed what the Zune accessory situation is in their market?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Seems like poor planning to me too. I haven't even looked to get one of these things yet. They are not off to a good start.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 AM
fgarcia10
Intellectual

The only thing I could find was the cases. Walmart had a bundle with the car kit for $299.00 but they were "out".

Anyhow I was ready for my car connection, I used the extra input on the back of my car stereo.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I guess things in the "Zune hometown" are better - the Target I got two Zunes at had the A/V kit, some cases, and a few other things - though certainly not all of the official accessories. The Circuit City had a few accessories, but not many.

The Zune Thoughts store is ready to serve your needs however.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:25 AM
cameron
Ponderer

While I was initially curious about this - I can see the reasoning from the retailers perspective.

Does the average consumer even know what the Zune is? (OK - why doesn't the spell checker on Zune thoughts recognize the word Zune???) Honestly - if it wasn't for PPCT, I would have no idea about what a Zune is.

If I'm a retailer, I'm probably not going to invest a lot in inventory that I'll more than likely need to carry for a long period of time (at least until people learn about the product). Now, maybe Microsoft should offer some sort of incentives to retailers to stock accessories, but without those retailers won't commit to the product until they see some traction in the marketplace.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Aaron, if your car stereo has an auxilliary audio in jack, I would highly recommend that over the FM transmitter. I tried the FM transmitter thing for my iPod (using a Belkin transmitter that got good reviews) and it wasn't very satisfactory. At best the quality is FM radio quality- i.e. not nearly as good as the device can sound. At worst, you'll have trouble finding a radio frequency that works without static and get irritating interference noises from any cellphone or Blackberry you may have in the car.

We recently got a new car (Prius) with an audio in port for the stereo. Ah- Nirvana! I could finally ditch the stupid FM transmitter. I don't know if Zune has a line level out capability (iPod does through 3rd party accessories) but that sounds better than the headphone out port, although even that sounds better than the FM transmitter.

Last edited by Dyvim; 11-15-2006 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
if your car stereo has an auxilliary audio in jack, I would highly recommend that over the FM transmitter
Oh trust me, I would if I could. My next vehicle, which is comming next summer, WILL have audio in support!

Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM
jdmountford
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to jdmountford

Our Circuit City has two Gondolas with iPod accessories no (not one single) Zune accessory.

I went to a best buy yeasterday to look. Same scenario. We are off to a rushed and rocky start. But I think that is the Microsoft MO/SOP. We all know it will get better.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:09 PM
MattC
Neophyte
Default Zune Cases at Agent18.com

Just ordered a case from http://www.agent18.com/. I've used Agent18 cases before for my ipod, and I like them a lot. They're clear, stylish, and protect the screen well. they're also having a sale online right now for 15% off of $24.95 which makes it $21.21
Coupon code:
15%sale

Old 11-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus

I've been keeping watch on my local stores. So far, between the Wal-Marts, Best Buys, and Targets, I've seen a few accessories trikle in. Mostly a few cases and video output cables. One store did finally get a couple car chargers. That's about it so far.