Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor
Default Canon Launches EOS M Mirrorless System Digital Camera

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...ands-on-preview

"Canon has, as expected, announced the EOS M - its first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Based around the same 18MP APS-C sensor as the recent EOS 650D/T4i, the EOS M is the first model to use a new, smaller 'EF-M' lens mount."

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. Canon has finally joined the mirrorless party with the EOS M. While Canon is late, being the largest player in the digital camera market affords this luxury. The camera is basically a Rebel T4i/EOS 650D squeezed into Powershot-like body in both size and external controls. The sensor is the same one found in the EOS 650D, an 18 megapixel one with phase-detect sensors on it. The LCD is the same on the EOS 650D (you get the pattern), a 720x480 high resolution touchscreen at 3". Given the lack of external controls, the touchscreen is expected to be used a lot more than the one on the EOS 650D. Having played with the EOS 650D's touchscreen, it is still a better way of controlling the camera than the Nikon 1, even though both are not ideal from an enthusiast-level perspective. Like the EOS 650D (again), the camera will feature the same video modes, which includes 1080p video at 30, 25 or 24 FPS with stereo audio recording. The camera boasts a 4.3FPS continuous stills advance as well.

The camera will also debut with two lenses and a new flash. Both lenses feature the new STM focus motor introduced with the 40mm f/2.8 and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses, which are designed to be silent for video work. The 22mm f/2 EF-M lens is a compact 35mm f/2 equivalent, which will no doubt please many street photographers, along with the usual 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom. The small 90 EX flash also debuts, and will be considered to be essential by some, as the camera lacks a built-in flash.

I have no doubt the camera will sell quite well. Like the Nikon 1 before it, it will make good sales to a large segment of non-photographers who want something that is significantly better than either their phone's cameras or a compact digital camera. Enthusiasts might be on the fence, as it lacks a number of external controls like a mode dial or a main command dial, as well as the inability to add an EVF to the hotshoe. The interesting thing is that unlike Nikon, Canon's decision to use an APS-C-sized sensor means the platform has room to grow into the enthusiast area if they choose to. The question then is, will they?

The camera will go on sale in USA in October with only one kit, the 22mm f/2 lens at US$800. Other countries are expected to have a kit with the 18-55 as well, and are expected to bundle the 90 EX flash in the kit. More details in the link, which includes a full preview!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

WOW.

This was what I was HOPING Nikon was going to do. I haven't seen any sales numbers, but I'm kind of doubting the Nikon 1 series did all that well in terms of sales numbers. This camera looks quite interesting indeed...

Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
WOW.

This was what I was HOPING Nikon was going to do. I haven't seen any sales numbers, but I'm kind of doubting the Nikon 1 series did all that well in terms of sales numbers. This camera looks quite interesting indeed...
What, launch a camera with no direct controls? Ok, at least the EOS M has a touchscreen. The Nikon 1 is doing quite well at its target market here, if you ask me, only trumped by Sony and Olympus, for very different reasons (Olympus for Art Filters, Sony for Motion Panorama).