Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android Slates/Tablets & Accessories

Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor
Default Tablet (Honeycomb) geared apps?

So, I just broke down and got an Android tablet, a Sony S. Happy with it, but have a question. Like the iPhone/iTouch venture into iPad, apps that take advantage of, or are geared towards, the tablet size seem limited. OK, I expected that. The question is how do you tell if a particular app is designed to run primarily on tablets? In the iTunes store you can click a button and pretty much what you see is iPad apps. Doesn't seem like such an option exists in the Android market, unless I'm missing something.

Sony provides a link to assorted apps that are tablet aware, but they tend to take you to the MarketPlace to download/purchase, and once there it is hard to distinguish which version is the right one, if there is more than one.

I do notice some ISVs have titled some apps 'XXX for Honeycomb', but that seems individual, not a standard practise.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Nope, no such section exists, as far as I know. I suppose there's the excuse that Android apps don't pixel double, they scale like desktop programs. Of course, for some programs that gives a lot of blank white space...

Unfortunately, there's no easy solution. Google the various lists Android users have put up and update.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
I suppose there's the excuse that Android apps don't pixel double, they scale like desktop programs.
Yea right. I picked up a solitaire app that looks like I'm 640x480 on a 21" monitor. May just be the app I picked, which is part of the reason for the question Got any pointers to good Honeycomb lists?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 PM
jwb1969
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to jwb1969
Default Honeycomb apps

there is no easy way to discern Honeycomb apps, I have google alerts for Honeycomb apps, and I check the release date of the app, if it is passed Aug, I check the history log to see of 3.2 support was added, also googling for them.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Well, all that's not terribly friendly. Would seem the Android Market should provide at least a filter for tablets. Not just will run, but designed for. I have noticed some developers using the (overused) designation HD (High Definition) to indicate tablet friendliness.

Am I right? There is no Netflix client for Android Tablet? See lots of queue management stuff.