Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Talk

Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson
Default Apple Further Handicaps Do-It-Yourself Upgrades for new iMacs

http://blog.macsales.com/10146-appl...ns-on-new-imacs

"Since Late 2009, there's been a well-documented issue with the iMac line. If you upgrade the hard drive, the fans can start spinning like crazy. The fans at high speed are loud, mainly unnecessary, and have caused a lot of headaches for DIYers everywhere."

Unable to upgrade or replace/repair hardware in my own computer? Reminds me of the early days when IBM made 'micro channel' (MCA) the standard on PS/2 computers, obsoleting existing bus peripherals, even in their own product line.  The outcry was huge; but; aside from the bus, much of the technology pushed the envelope, and, the market ended up making the decision on the direction of technology - an eventual thumbs down to MCA, PS/2 and OS/2 (despite the fact that OS/2 was far superior to Windows, but different enough that IBM again shot themselves in the foot). Apple can make the same dumb technology decisions as any other company - but I don't think that they're attempting anything sinister, probably let a few engineers run with a concept ... improved communication/control between peripherals and computer, and what-not. I'm sure that there will be workarounds and fixes coming down the pipeline ... or maybe a class-action lawsuit or two by angry owners.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Years ago, I was working at IBM Home Computing � the retail store chain � and recall the debacle that was Micro Channel. People would call in and say they wanted a sound card, and I�d have to explain they needed one that was twice as expensive as the generic one that someone with a generic PC (ISA slot I think?) could use. It never went over well.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Another perspective on this by Marco Arment, the developer of Instapaper:

http://www.marco.org/2011/05/12/owc-...rive-complaint

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
Another perspective on this by Marco Arment, the developer of Instapaper.
He makes some good points - no one buys an iMac thinking "I'm getting a computer that's easy to upgrade" - but I think it's also kind of insulting to say "Go buy a Mac Pro if you want something you can upgrade" when the Mac Pro STARTS at $2599 here in Canada. It's not that simple.

Personally I think it underscores the very real conflicting desires of:

1) People who want their computer to be a computer; meaning something that can be upgraded and improved over time as budget allows

and

2) Apple who wants their computers to be appliance-like; something that is disposed of and replaced ($$$ cha-ching $$$) when it's no longer fast enough

I know Apple will never do this, but I'd love to see a "Mac Mini Pro"-style computer...something that's a microATX-sized tower with upgradable innards and high-performance guts (unlike the Mac Mini).

Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM
kanzlr
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to kanzlr

yep, something between the mac mini and the Mac Pro is needed.
I switched over from a high-end PC to a Mac Mini, because the Pro was too expensive...but this certainly hinders adoption of Macs by former high-end PC users.

on the hdd issue: there seems to be a solution already:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/13/hdd-f...replacement-i/