Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Talk

Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix View Post
I have had my fair share of devices - original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad and now iPad 2 - and to a letter the backup process has been perfect for me.
That's really curious - why is your experience different than ours? When you organize the apps on your iPad, do you do it on the device itself, or on your desktop via iTunes? Someone else mentioned to me this may be the determining factor, baffling as though it may be.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Phronetix
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
That's really curious - why is your experience different than ours? When you organize the apps on your iPad, do you do it on the device itself, or on your desktop via iTunes? Someone else mentioned to me this may be the determining factor, baffling as though it may be.
Several thoughts:

1. I don't encrypt all my backups on all devices, so it can't be that.
2. I think it may have to do with the apps that I use. Perhaps I am not using any of the apps whose developers place data in that non-permanent folder that was mentioned above.
3. I have moved icons around once using iTunes, otherwise always on-device.
4. I run only OS X on my machines.
5. I have a tendency to not tolerate an app that acts up on me. I just turf it.

That's all I've got.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix View Post
4. I run only OS X on my machines.
This is the only factor that I think could be relevant. If the Windows version of iTunes has a bug that the OS X version does not, it could cause this. But it seems to be happening to other people in this thread that I know are running OS X...

Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Odd. I don't encrypt any of my backups and I sync my iPhone 4 with the same machine I sync my iPad 2. To date the only time I've experienced my icons and screens being different from the backup was going from iPad 1 to iPad 2. Rearranging your app screens can be speeded up a bit by doing it with iTunes. With your iPad connected, go to the Application tab (within the sync window) and if you look to the far right you'll see the various screens and app arrangements on your iPad. From there you can move apps around to suit you. Then sync it again.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
With your iPad connected, go to the Application tab (within the sync window) and if you look to the far right you'll see the various screens and app arrangements on your iPad. From there you can move apps around to suit you. Then sync it again.
I think that interface was designed by the most sadistic programmer Apple could find. I really dislike it and for the amount of organizing I have to do, using the iPad directly will work better. It's a lot of work either way though.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
...I used Spb Backup or Sprite Backup and didn't recall having any serious problems with them...
What a nice blast from the past! Say what you want about the rocky road that the Windows Phone has traveled, but there WERE some great successes along the way, especially when it came to great software developers like Sprite and Spb.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
What does one have to do with the other? I should lower my standards for what I expect from Apple because Microsoft did an even worse job? No way. We're talking a backup of one iPad 2 being restored to a factory-fresh iPad 2. That should be brain-dead simple. Apple products are supposed to "just work", right? So that's what I was expecting here.

And FWIW, back in the Pocket PC days I used Spb Backup or Sprite Backup and didn't recall having any serious problems with them - I'd backup my device, test some software, then restore it and keep going. That's the way it should work.
I dont think I said that Jason - I was pointing out that back up and restore issues is nothing new! In respect of SPB BackUp/Sprite Backup - used them - and they were OK if you were restoring the same machine back from an earlier backup - but absolutley cr@p when trying to restore a backup from one device to another!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 AM
now4real954
Neophyte
Default Stressing

I had the same issue with my 3GS when I upgraded to 4.something...it was so distressing because I have hundreds of apps on my 32GB...I get them mostly when free and then slowly go thru them but I had to redo all of my folders...

but my situation was much worse...I specifically did a back up of the iPhone before the update...and then there was NO back up there...so I was screwed big time...

I lost all of my pics that were not transferred so you know I was beyond mad...because I had also used the wallpaper making apps that use neon etc to make cool backgrounds and I lost all of those as well...

and redoing the damn folders for all those apps is a nightmare...still have not finished it...and 4.something came out how long ago...lol

so I have not updated my iPad for fear I will throw it across the room

too afraid

how about the bug that on the iPhone if you have too many apps to update in App Store that when you update all it removes the apps from their folders and sometimes just removes all the folders all together...yuck that has been a pain in the past

PS I wish you had your comments on the same page as the original article...blogs like that are so much easier to comment on...just my humble opinion