Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune News

Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune Originals Now Available in Canada

http://zunespring.com/index.php/zun...a-zuneoriginals

The Zune HD came out in September 2009. A year and a half later, it's now going to be available officially in Canada via the Zune Originals Web site. Nice to see, but is it too late for anyone to care? It's 2011 and while I still believe the Zune HD is a great media player, technology marches onward and the first-generation Tegra hardware and low-resolution screen don't exactly stack up well against an iPod Touch 4G with a Retina display. I've been wish for some news on the Zune hardware front, but this wasn't what I was expecting. And it kind of seems like Microsoft has quit updating the Zune originals series - look at the Xbox games collection...there's nothing current in there.

Yeah, I'm a little grumpy about the state of Zune. :-(

Old 02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I sure hope MS is resting on their laurels on the Zune platform. Their laurels aren't stacked very high in the first place. Also hope they aren't expecting Windows Phone to carry the Zune brand/ecosystem. The compelling argument is in the diversity (such as it is). Until they get phones with 32/64G and 6-8 hours of media life that still can make a call after that, I'm still going to want a dedicated media device. Great that my Windows Phone is part of my Zune stable, but it currently won't replace my Zune HD. Would be nice if my next Zune ran Windows Phone apps and was linked to the same XBox Live feature my Windows Phone is.

P.S. MS, don't discount smaller form factors with physical buttons for primarily music, podcasts, etc. People use these when active and it is pretty tough to reach into your pocket to adjust volume, change tracks, when all you have is a capacitive touch screen.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
mrozema
Intellectual

Looks like they're offering a free AC adapter with each Zune HD purchased from the Originals website.
Too bad I can't walk into a Best Buy or Futureshop in my neck of the tundra and purchase this fine media player.