Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Desktops

Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Jeff Campbell
Executive Editor, Apple Thoughts
Default Apple's Problem?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/app...The+Apple+Core)

"Dario D. wrote a good post about Apple's current problem: selling Macs. In it he makes a good case for why iMac pricing needs to be reduced and theorizes that most of the world is convinced to try a Mac, but that few people can actually justify one - when significantly cheaper PC options exist."

That has always been the problem hasn't it? The cost of the Mac is one that does prohibit many people from jumping into the Apple world with both feet. I do think however, that educating people about the benefits (quality of workmanship, the design aesthetics, flexibility of the operating system, default software and compatibility with the mobile products) can mitigate some of this hesitation and lead them to invest in a Mac. That being said, price will always deter most people. I think the author nails it when he says he isn't convinced that Apple truly does want to dominate the desktop. Mobile seems to be the focus at Apple and they are doing quite well with it. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Campbell View Post
I think the author nails it when he says he isn't convinced that Apple truly does want to dominate the desktop. Mobile seems to be the focus at Apple and they are doing quite well with it.
Bing!

Apple is like Ferarri or Porsche. They don't WANT to have 90% of the cars driving around be their cars, because then there wouldn't be anything special about them. Their brand, their image, is one of exclusivity. When it comes to desktops and laptops, Steve Jobs doesn't want everyone using a Mac. He only wants people of taste and style using Macs (well, his perception of those traits at any rate), and they're priced the way they are for that exact reason. Poor people can't afford the Apple ecosystem. You can look at Jobs' quote about netbooks for the crystal-clear proof of this.

However, when it comes to iPhones, iPods, and the iPad, he's a bit more lenient about who he lets into the party. His desire to set the tone of mobile devices I think feeds into his control-freak nature, and he of course has achieved massive success with the mobile devices. But even now, we're seeing Android outselling the iPhone, so in a couple of years the iPhone may be the niche phone like Macs are niche computers - but Jobs would be OK with that because he's simply say that the "right" people are buying his products and the rest, well, he doesn't want those people as customers. That's the brilliance of this guy!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I agree, I don't think it is a problem. Seems that many believe that you have to have the lion's share of the market to be successful. That's obviously not true. Apple revenue/profit proves that. Maybe that is mostly their media line, but I don't think they are losing money on their PC products, and not because I think they are overpriced. While the basic functionality of a MAC can be acheived in a much cheaper PC, the basic functionality of a Lexus can be acheived in a Toyota too. There is a difference that will justify the price difference for some, but never for the masses. If you are selling the top of the line (in reality, or in perception), you aren't going to sell it to the majority.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:12 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Well, I mostly agree. I have a 4.5 year old MacBook that literally works as well as the day it did when I bought it home. That counts for a lot. I've never owned a PC that I could say that about. Macs DO tend to be more trouble free than PCs in my experience. And my MacBook Pro never ceases to amaze me at its quality and just plain elegance. The trackpad in particular is astounding and I've always wondered why PC laptops can't have trackpads as good as the ones that Apple puts in its devices. Maybe the PC folks should buy drop Synaptic and turn to Apple to make their trackpads.

Prior to Windows 7, OS X was the main draw of Macs for me and although it's still mostly the case, Win 7 is a great OS in it's own right. Fortunately I can have the best of both worlds - I dual boot with Win 7 and OS X and so I get the benefit of my MacBook Pro's hardware with Win 7! (Only downside is battery life under Win 7 sucks).

As for the eliteness - bah! I could care less. I doubt I'm in the "hip" demographic that Apple targets; for me it's practicality and quality that matter and Macs win on both counts. As long as Apple keeps making Macs of the same or better quality I'll keep buying them.

Finally, Apple has the most coherent ecosystem out there. My iPhone, iPods, AirPorts and Macs all work together seamlessly and that's priceless. Apple really has that part down to a fine art. Yeah, there're glitches sometimes, but no more so than for any other system. Mobile Me is still the weakest part but even so, it fits in well and when it works (which is most of the time) it's great!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
But even now, we're seeing Android outselling the iPhone, so in a couple of years the iPhone may be the niche phone like Macs are niche computers - but Jobs would be OK with that because he's simply say that the "right" people are buying his products and the rest, well, he doesn't want those people as customers. That's the brilliance of this guy!
Lets see what happens when Verizon has it

Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
My iPhone, iPods, AirPorts and Macs all work together seamlessly and that's priceless.
One company having control of all of that does increase the chances of that happening. Not saying that's a bad thing by any means.