Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

That is a really good point, the secure data comment. With any newer WM device, it's possible to go into Settings > System > Encryption and check the box which encrypts any and all data written to the storage card. This option has a warning, that encrypted data will ONLY be readable from that card within this same phone - which seems a bit risky to me in case of phone damage - and so it should be first backed up to an alternate secure location.

For my part, I've trusted Resco Explorer's encryption for some years, and before that used Lucifer. Not much in either case, mostly just to see if it works as I don't have anything secret to store... but having done a review once for pocketnow.com on Lucifer it seemed natural to test other options for file encryption. Resco's uncompressed and compressed file encryption seems quite solid. I experienced corruption of data in one instance some years ago, that's all.

But for a business/government agency user, having an encryptable, removable storage card seems a good idea. Maybe that's one of the motivators for MS preserving limited support for WM devices, as such agencies might be a bit leary of handing out devices without the encrypted card data option.