Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Sure hope someone helps you here. In my brief research, we in the good ol' US of A are in the dark ages when it comes to pre-paid service, with a data plan. We can get you wonderous options if you are looking for voice and text, but data? Pre-paid? Bit harder to come by. Keep in mind we basically have two carriers that support GSM phones, AT&T, and T-Mobile. Verizon, Sprint and many of the regional or low cost carriers don't use SIM cards. Just recently WalMart announced their own phone service, to run on T-Mobile's network. They haven't announced any data plans that I am aware of, and it is reported that their SIMs are somehow locked to their phones.

I wish you luck. BTW, are you going to stay around Houston, mostly? That may be a benefit, as many of the low cost carriers, or regional ones have better support in big cities, and Houston certainly qualifies as that, even back in the early 70's when I lived there.

Do you have the option of just using WiFi? We are just lousy with free WiFi.

I take back that thing about WalMart data.

Wal-Mart launches low-cost wireless plan; data still pricey - Yahoo! News

Still am not sure about sticking a WalMart Family plan SIM in another phone though.

Last edited by Sven Johannsen; 09-14-2010 at 06:34 PM..