Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Accessories

Old 08-14-2010, 12:22 AM
SassKwatch
Philosopher

I'm obviously a little late to the party on this thread, but was hoping some wouldn't mind it being rebooted, so to speak.....

I'm curious what advantages others find in the 'messenger bag' concept in general vs the backpack style bag.

I've been a backpack style user for some time, and while a LowePro version thereof has served me well for camera gear only , I'm changing jobs and will need to haul a laptop around with me as well. So, have started researching options that will allow me to carry both.

While this Tenba looks like an intriguing option in the messenger bag line, I'm more curious for now what would cause you to buy this style vs a backpack style.

Thanks.

-= Sass =-

Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassKwatch View Post
I'm curious what advantages others find in the 'messenger bag' concept in general vs the backpack style bag.
For me, it's mostly a matter of convenience - I like being able to load/unload the weight quickly and easily. Backpacks to me seem more inconvenient, and if I'm being blunt, I feel like a bit of a kid wearing a backup - I personally find messenger bags a bit more "grown up" feeling, but that's of course entirely subjective. That said, backpacks are better for your neck/shoulder/back long term - heavy messenger bags slung over one shoulder put all the burden on one spot. I use a Lowepro Sling and like it quite a bit, but it's strictly for camera stuff - when I'm travelling with a laptop, I prefer a messenger-style bag that I can slide under the plane seat, etc.

I *did* have my eye on a custom Timbuk2 backback that I wanted to review, but they're pretty bad at getting back to reviewers, so it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I say use whatever works best for you.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

I personally don't like photo backpacks; they're awful to use. The front-loading style really needs to die. It's bloody slow to setup, impossible to use while keeping the bag on your back, and when setting up on the ground, where the bag makes contact with your back also touches the ground.